O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
Vienna

My iphone 5 won't activate?

Received my iphone this morning and it won't activate. I've spoken to Apple, who say that I should call back later?! In other words I don't think he knew what he was doing. I phoned O2 and I've swapped my SIM and also activated the the Nano SIM, she said I should wait a couple of hours to see if it works.

It's still not working. I'm at a loss on what to do next.

The error message is......

"there is a problem activating your phone please contact apple care on.........."

I also have the same message on Itunes. I've uploaded the news Itunes too.

Any ideas please?

Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
highlightshadow

Re: My iphone 5 won't activate?

From previous experience its a combination of O2 and Apple ... and i think when i got my iPhone4 2 years ago i had to wait 30 hours for it to activate (was saturday afternoon having picked up at 8am friday)

I know its frustrating but i doubt you'll get much progress by chasing it right now ... its just sheer volume of traffic with activation servers on both Apple & carriers with millions of devices all coming onstream at once
iPhone5s 32GB Space Grey
Twitter: @highlightshadow
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
andrewstevenson

Well my phone is due in the next hour and ill see if it happens to me, remember o2 cant help you as they didnt deal with pre orders, contact carphone warehouse as its there job

Please use plain text.
Vienna

Right, so my best bet is to wait and keep trying. If not I've got carphone warehouse's number here in the bumf so if there's no joy I'll ring them tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Please use plain text.
CJB
CJB

My activation and SIM change went through in under 10 mins. Just done it now.
Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
TheDarkShadow

If it's taking a while for the SIM to activate, try power cycling the handset. This often kicks the SIM in to life and saves four hours on hold to CS!

Please use plain text.
mparker42

[ Edited ]

It's been 4 hours since I registered my new sim by text. Still nothing has happened. Advised by CS switching phone on and off. Been doing this for the last hour or so. I have put new iphone back in its box :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
CJB
CJB

mparker42 wrote:

It's been 4 hours since I registered my new sim by text. Still nothing has happened. Advised by CS switching phone on and off. Been doing this for the last hour or so. I have put new iphone back in its box :smileysad:

See if you can do it online - was very quick for me

Please use plain text.
mparker42

Tried that and it says my sim is being updated. Off into London tonight. CS advised me I will have to take both of my phones with me in case I lose the service on my old one during the night. Not too happy with this solution

Please use plain text.
CJB
CJB

Strange how the online method worked very quickly but not SMS.

Hope it get's changed soon for you.
Please use plain text.