cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to America for a year

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, in September ill be moving to america for a year and was wondering if i would be able to pause my contract for the whole time i am away? My contract ends in August so my intial plan was to upgrade to another 24-month contract, pause it for a year and then pay it off for the next 2 years when i get back.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry No O2 won't pause the contract for you.

Perhaps ask if a trusted family member wants to take it over, but your still responsible for it. You can even change the bank details so the payments go out of the trusted persons account.

If your on refresh you could pay up the handset plan part and end the airtime part.

You could take your contract with you and use tugo over wifi but be very careful to turn off mobile data and O2 voicemail to stop data charges.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry No O2 won't pause the contract for you.

Perhaps ask if a trusted family member wants to take it over, but your still responsible for it. You can even change the bank details so the payments go out of the trusted persons account.

If your on refresh you could pay up the handset plan part and end the airtime part.

You could take your contract with you and use tugo over wifi but be very careful to turn off mobile data and O2 voicemail to stop data charges.
Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, in September ill be moving to america for a year and was wondering if i would be able to pause my contract for the whole time i am away? My contract ends in August so my intial plan was to upgrade to another 24-month contract, pause it for a year and then pay it off for the next 2 years when i get back.

I'm puzzled as to why you would want to do this? Is it because you want to keep your number? You could do that by switching to Pay & Go at the end of your current contract. Make sure you unlock your phone if it's locked to O2 now, before you go to the US and before your contract expires.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I'm puzzled as to why you would want to do this? Is it because you want to keep your number? You could do that by switching to Pay & Go at the end of your current contract. Make sure you unlock your phone if it's locked to O2 now, before you go to the US and before your contract expires.

Apart from any of that...if you were able to pause any new contract you would come back to a phone that is 2 years old ...with a lot of newer models on the market?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks to me like the OP wants a shiny new phone to take to America with him but wants to hold the contract for a year.

My advice, assuming availability of funds, would be to buy the phone outright and sim free, that would solve the phone being old when he returns etc too
Message 5 of 5