cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message Charges WARNING

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is my first post on the Community website here goes
If you send an emoji character or send a message over 160 or send a picture in an email you will be charged for a picture message 33p. I think it's disgusting the way they do not advertise these charges.
I have a complaint in as I did none of the above but they have charged for something please check your bills
Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122891 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

This is a very common mistake made by many people sadly

Adding an emoticon by itself won’t, in many cases, force the message into MMS format, but, what it will do, is eat up your character count.

A  smiley face or wink will use 90 characters. (unless you have used the keyboard to create them) SMS are 480 characters and under.... anything over that becomes MMS. Emoji's are also extremely popular and again will eat up your character count

It is all in this guide here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
When you add media such as a picture then it will convert to an MMS. As for emoji's etc, this is handset dependent. But when your SMS switched to an MMS you should see a symbol change or a warning show. You will need to refer to your handset user guide. If you don't agree you sent any MMS messages you need to ring 202 and discuss this with an advisor.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122891 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

This is a very common mistake made by many people sadly

Adding an emoticon by itself won’t, in many cases, force the message into MMS format, but, what it will do, is eat up your character count.

A  smiley face or wink will use 90 characters. (unless you have used the keyboard to create them) SMS are 480 characters and under.... anything over that becomes MMS. Emoji's are also extremely popular and again will eat up your character count

It is all in this guide here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
The costs are all fully advertised on the website.
O2 will most likely refund you on this one occasion but you will have no excuses for doing it again, now that you know.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 16

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

It's easy enough to avoid once you know but all too often people only find out once they are charged. The information is out there however. On all network websites, reported in the media and extensively on this community. Customers seem to have insufficient time to read up on these things until the inevitable happens unfortunately.

Message 5 of 16

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I just don't understand why we are charged for MMS anyways. They go by data so should be included in your allowance.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Different data platform.
It's the old WAP system - needs scrapping now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 16

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

I do think that some of the information on tariffs is a little ambiguous unless you really delve into it. For instance on my tariff, at first glance you would think I am covered for mms as part of my unlimited texts.

Screenshots_2016-01-14-14-16-42.png

We all know however that mms are only free if you have the mms bolt on or are on a legacy tariff but the tariff information in the screen shot from My O2 would initially lead me to think my allowance can be used.

Message 8 of 16

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Yes indeed, that's very badly worded.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 16

jonsie
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
Message 10 of 16