Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Data Usage Increase

Bez89
Level 3: Thinker
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I was just wondering if anyone had experienced this. I've had my iphone 5 for nearly two years, and am coming to the end of my contract.In all that time I've never even come close to using the 1 gig of data I get with my phone. However in the last five six months, a good week before my bill, I get the txt you've used 80% of your data. I've used the tips from this forum IE, turning my data and 3G off when I'm not using it, and to stop apps from running, and downloading in the background. I've also set Facebook auto play to off. Yet two weeks ago, the day before I flew out on holiday, I received my new 1 gig data allowance, I turned data off so I could only use wifi on holiday, yet two days after I got home. I got the same txt saying I'd used 80%. The thing that's got me though, is I got my next 1 gig allowance yesterday, and got a txt today saying I'd used all my data, and it will reset on the 14th of next month. Now this has really got me, as I said I have data off unless I want a quick browse at work, and always use wifi where possible. It must be neigh on impossible to use a gig in one day. I spoke to customer services, who were pretty unhelpful at first, but said they will investigate, but will take five days, but I'm paying for a service I'm not receiving. Has anyone any similar experiences? As if it's not resolved, this could see me leaving O2 after being a long term customer.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bez89 wrote:
Bandofbrothers yes I always turn mobile data off at home. Only turn it on when out and about. When I want to use it then turn it off again. That's why this one is so strange, it would be impossible for me to use a gig in a day. Same on my hols, data and 3G off for over a week, get home, turn it on again. Next day, txt saying used 80%, impossible.

Hi

Certainly a conundrum !

I get what MI5 is saying that some have reported elevated data use.

Im on o2 Big Bundle PAYG with 2Gb of data. I dont have the symptons you have.

Im a very heavy user with streaming youtube too and typicaly over a month use 2Gb to 3Gb.

Hopefully Customer Services will be able to help.

Message 11 of 19

Jeevster
Level 4: Observant
  • 175 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Have you also downloaded any apps that could use the data?

Message 12 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

It surely wouldn't be possible for any apps to use that amount of data in a couple of days?

Message 13 of 19

Bez89
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I've not downloaded any apps for a bit Jeevster.
Message 14 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some apps can be large to download and normally a pop up box warning is given before commencing.

I choose like many to download and update my apps over WiFi.

It will be interesting to know what O2 say to you after their 5 day window of investigation.

Another avenue is to book the iPhone in with an Apple Genius Bar for a diagnostic if O2 state all is fine with their systems / records.

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/
Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Don't bother with O2. Go to apple. Book a genius appt and tell them what's going on face to face. They may simply replace the phone for you.
Message 16 of 19

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Apple direct is always the best option.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 19

jonsie
  • 93214 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

Well worth the inconvenience of travelling if you don't have a local store but make a genius appointment first.

Make a Genius Bar reservation

Message 18 of 19

Bez89
  • 66 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks again for the advice guys, will definitely be booking a genius appointment too. Will update when I find out the outcome, of the investigation.
Message 19 of 19