O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
brierls

MMS not working on iPhone 4S

Hi,
I've got an issue with my iPhone 4S where I cannot send or receive MMS messages to/from non-iOS5 phones, I get 'Message Send Failure' and a red exclamation mark appears next to the message. I can send/receive MMS to people on iOS5 because it uses iMessage, where there doesn't seem to be an issue.
When I first reported the issue O2 said is was a known issue with iOS5. I called back after iOS5.0.1 had been released and I'd installed it, and was told the issue is now resolved. Not for me it isn't!
I've spoken to O2 support, O2 Guru online, and an O2 Guru in store. None of them have been able to resolve the issue, and we seem to be going round in circles by resetting/checking/double checking settings. The settings appear to be correct, and they've been checked several times over.
I have tried a soft reset, Cellular Data 'Reset Settings', Reset Network Settings & a Restore via iTunes.
Has anybody else had the same issue? More importantly, did it get fixed? I'm pulling my hair out on this one!
Cheers
Please use plain text.
jimmy1980

Re: MMS not working on iPhone 4S

I have been told by O2 that you can't send mms from the iPhone 4s on a 2G network???!!!!
Please use plain text.
darrengf
Topics: 18
Kudos: 150
Solutions: 26

I can also confirm that mms on 2g doesnt work but does on 3g
Has any one found with o2 why this is?
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 951
Solutions: 1,018

I thought this was down to new max message size and setting max message size to 300000 which was the old max size resolved this(since ios4)
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
jimmy1980

Wow - I've tried this and it worked!!!! You clearly know better than O2 customer services!!!
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 951
Solutions: 1,018

Glad to help
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
jimmy1980

I spoke too soon! Worked straight after but isn't working now!!! And person I sent it to didn't receive the picture even though it said it had sent! This is irritating!!!
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
messagetojohn

I am having exactly the same problem. I can send mms through imessage but not as an ordinary message. Seems to make no difference whether I'm in a 3g, edge, wireless or gprs network :smileysad: Very frustrating. I think it has only been a problem for me since the ios 5.0.1 update. It was working perfectly well before! Any help would be appreciated.
Oh, I CAN receive them however, though it takes a long while to come through.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
geordie21

Right, my phone is working. This is a fix that DEFINITELY WORKS for me. Been on a bit of a mission today!

I spoke to Apple, who told me to contact o2 and get the carrier settings updated because every time you upgrade the carrier settings are affected. The guy was that confident, he told me that if o2 couldnt sort it, to ask them to conference call with him and we'd sort it out 3 ways.

So I rang O2 and they said that Apple were wrong. O2 said that the iphone carrier settings are updated within itunes. Dont worry about the detail there - fact is, o2 said it wasnt them and agreed the conference call. (having worked for a mobile operator when i was a kid and having a small idea of how things work from the company end, i have a sneaking suspicion that settings at o2's end were altered. I may be wrong).

We did the conference call, and Apple's bloke was great. So was o2's to be fair.

This is what they did:
settings - messages - check sms messaging is on, turn imessaging off
settings - general - reset - reset network settings.
Turn phone off and back on.
settings - messages - turn imessaging back on (it takes a while to activate, but leave it until it does! If it doesnt, turn phone off and back on then go back to settings - general - it should say imessage is waiting for activation. WAIT until its ready! It can take several minutes.
Go and send a photo - this worked for me. I didnt think it was, because it was hanging on 90% for absolutely ages. Apparently this is because the camera is better so the photo files are larger, so it just takes longer. Be patient, it may take 5 mins, maybe 8-10 mins (youll be waiting and expecting the red exclamation mark to appear! It wont) to send a photo but it will send.

When it sent, i then went to
settings - general - network - wifi - then i re-entered my broadband key. I am fine being on wifi and sending picture messages now.

If youre able to do this accurately yourself, great but if not - or if it doesnt work, Id advise ringing your network provider and causing a stink over carrier settings, ask them to refresh them - they may say they cant, thats fine. If theres something amiss, they may just 'deal' with it without telling you. I wouldnt ask them to turn carrier settings off and on though; use that option if this one doesnt work - because it takes over 24 hours you see. Then go to Apples website and set up and express lane call - they'll call you immediately. Your iphone 4s will be within its 3 month warranty. Get them to call you on a landline phone so you can keep your mobile free to allow Apple to talk you through stuff. To get your serial number, go to settings - general - about - and scroll down to serial number.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
jimmy1980

Got excited because I followed these steps and first 2 sent, then third one failed!!! One minor difference though is I am on simplicity so had to add the step of manually changing my mobile/mms settings!
This is ridiculous though!!! I had my 3GS for 2 years with no problems with mms!
Please use plain text.