cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost iPhone voicemail greeting - PLEASE PLEASE HELP, I AM DESPERATE

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an iPhone 5s, which is my 4th iPhone. My son recorded a voicemail greeting directly onto my first iPhone 8 years ago when he was only 4. I have transferred it to every iPhone I have ever had.

Last week I had to "reset network settings" on my iPhone due to a website not working. Now, I have lost this greeting! This may just be a coincidence as everyone tells me this wouldn't delete it.

I have spoken to both Apple and O2 for about 6 hours now and no one can help me. Yesterday a lovely lady from Apple helped me reset my phone from a back up on my iMac from back in December. It still doesn't come back. O2 tell me they don't have it as it was recorded directly to the phone but if it was then surely it would have been on the December back up. I am desperate to get it back, can anyone PLEASE PLEADE HELP ME?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We've had this before where a stored VVM file has been deleted, lost or mysteriously disappeared.
Personally, I can't understand why it was not stored as part of your back up previously, but the only way you have any hope of getting this back is with support from Apple.
VVM on an iPhone is totally different to normal VM on any other phone and it certainly won't be on o2's servers after this length of time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
  • 122381 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Have a look at this help thread here re voicemail

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/All-you-need-to-know-about-O2-Voicemail-901/m-p/547712#U547712

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Who was it from O2 who told you that the message was recorded directly to the phone? If you just set up a personalised greeting using O2 Voicemail, I don't think that would be the case. This would, I think come under the province of O2, not Apple. If you had to reset your network settings it may have deleted the message, and if it has, I'm sorry to say that it's probably not retrievable. If I were you I would call O2 customer service again, but I don't think you should get your hopes up.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We've had this before where a stored VVM file has been deleted, lost or mysteriously disappeared.
Personally, I can't understand why it was not stored as part of your back up previously, but the only way you have any hope of getting this back is with support from Apple.
VVM on an iPhone is totally different to normal VM on any other phone and it certainly won't be on o2's servers after this length of time.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've spoke to O2 customer services twice and they all tell me that it's on the phone and not with O2 as I recorded it directly to my first iPhone 8 years ago. I can't believe that it isn't somewhere especially as I haven't actually deleted it. Both O2 and Apple tell me that reset network settings wouldn't delete it. I know it's only a greeting but I am heartbroken it's something I can never get back 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143448 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I don't know if it would work, but maybe if you downloaded Tu, would it be on there?
http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've downloaded Tu but there are only calls there. I can't see any voicemails 😞

Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Voice mails are deleted after 7 days on O2'S systems so it's down to whether it was saved by Apple in any backup. I fear that it's now lost forever. I have a voice mail from my late wife but it's downloaded to my PC and backed up to Drive. I listen to it weekly and I would be devastated if I lost it. Sometimes in your darkest moments you forget their voice but you listen..and all is well in your world. Hope to god you get this back.....

Message 8 of 8