Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 6 16GB, Unable To Activate Touch ID

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phone bought 22 months ago

No AC

Screen replaced with apple in Feb this year

Ok, so no issues what so ever until the IOS10 was installed 2 weeks ago. Now the phone has a touch ID error and fails to work. All the usual things have been tried, flatten the phone, re-install backups, start as new phone and still nothing.

Finally managed to get an appointment at AS and went through the diagnostics with them and low and behold, it shows a software issue with the TOUCH ID. 

So, the reset the phone or recovery mode as they called it, holding down the sleep & hold button whilst connecting to itunes. Great, it works again. 

A notification came through of an update on IOS10 (version 3 i believe) and im back to square one. 

Ive tried replicating what they did at the genius bar nut to no avail. The phone upon start up says "unable to activate touch ID"

O2 have washed there hands of it and dont want to know, Apple say they can replace the handset at a cost of £200+.

As this was shoing as a software fault, unless im missing somthing here, this seems absolutely disgusting. 

Has anyone experienced this? does anyone have any other dvice as to how to proceed or is this a case of suffer the loss of an otherwise perfect Iphone 6 with out so much as a scratch on it?

Any sensible advice always welcome

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go back to Apple again 

Message 21 of 37

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sorry that didn't work - I'd go back to Apple and bang the table, if it were me....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5

Your input was appreciated. 

I will go back to them but i fear i will get the same old tripe, pay a few hundred and get a replacement.

I just wondered that as it registered on there diagnostics as a software fault, are they then liable for the repair.

I know its a difficult one to diagnose across the net, but as the phone shows no evidence of accidental damge leading to a hardware failiur, can i go back to them armed with more info than i already have

Message 23 of 37

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There are more things that they can do than you can do yourself, so I'd push them on it being a software issue and ask them to fix it - they are usually pretty good tbh.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, thanks, 

I'll get in line again and go back down in another weeks time

Message 25 of 37

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good luck and let us know how it goes for you please.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Certainly will

Message 27 of 37

Leeds6
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 45 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If you phone new in last 2 years you have 6 years protection if phone is faulty as you say. U.K. Law protects your device for 6 years go to citizen advice they taken off some consumer advice like this. 

Go back to Apple or o2 and tell them of this and say the 6 years law protection and go to trading standards if they don't sort this out.

Message 28 of 37

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Leeds6 wrote:

If you phone new in last 2 years you have 6 years protection if phone is faulty as you say. U.K. Law protects your device for 6 years go to citizen advice they taken off some consumer advice like this. 

Go back to Apple or o2 and tell them of this and say the 6 years law protection and go to trading standards if they don't sort this out.

It's not quite as simple as that.

I suggest anyone Googles the info on consumer rights for accurate advice.

Currently using:
Message 29 of 37

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

A little guide I did http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Guide-Differance-between-SOGA-and-warranty-exten... if bought after October 2015 this act applies http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 30 of 37