cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5s keep connecting to GPRS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I am on my second iphone 5s in a week . The first one keeps losing 3G signal and changing to GPRS , which means if I'm out and about I cannot connect to internet or check e mails etc . I have spoken to customer services and changed a few thins , I went into O2 shop and they check SIM card and that was ok . I have received new phone today and it is only doing same thing so it can't be the handset this time . Has anyone any ideas ? Does O2 need to send settings to my phone !!!??? I have been with orange for years and never had a problem or on my iPhone 4S !
Message 1 of 134
133 REPLIES 133

Anonymous
Not applicable
Was told the same thing. Got new sim and....................
No difference. I even had my number re-ported again to make sure everything was transferred correctly.
Never saw GPRS on my 4s constant 3G signal.. I'm thinking it must be something to do with the 4G signal.
Message 41 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm on 3G and having the same issue.. I think 5s is the issue.

Message 42 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

Afcwomblelong wrote: I'm thinking it must be something to do with the 4G signal.

Not where I am it isn't!

I'm still pinning my hopes on the new sim, but starting to think about my options. Best at the moment would seem to be pay off the 5S then sell it (on Refresh, I can get more recycling the 5S than is outstanding on the loan) and swap it for something like an Experia Z1 Compact. Second option (more expensive) - pay off the airtime plan as well (19 months left - ouch) and go to EE

PS they seem to have switched off my old sim already, now relying in wifi and tugo Crazy

Message 43 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Afcwomblelong wrote: I'm thinking it must be something to do with the 4G signal.

Not where I am it isn't!

I'm still pinning my hopes on the new sim, but starting to think about my options. Best at the moment would seem to be pay off the 5S then sell it (on Refresh, I can get more recycling the 5S than is outstanding on the loan) and swap it for something like an Experia Z1 Compact. Second option (more expensive) - pay off the airtime plan as well (19 months left - ouch) and go to EE

PS they seem to have switched off my old sim already, now relying in wifi and tugo Crazy

Keep turning the phone off and on to help reset the connection.

Message 44 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Spoke to a friend of mine who's on EE with a new iPhone 5S. He occasionally sees E not GPRS on his 4G tariff.
Can't make out if it's the 5S, the network operators or the ios 7 firmware that's the problem.
I wish there was just a toggle switch in the settings to turn 2G off leaving 3G and 4G only.
Message 45 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Spoke to a friend of mine who's on EE with a new iPhone 5S. He occasionally sees E not GPRS on his 4G tariff.
Can't make out if it's the 5S, the network operators or the ios 7 firmware that's the problem.
I wish there was just a toggle switch in the settings to turn 2G off leaving 3G and 4G only.

Some want the facility back to toggle off 4g and 3g to force the iphone onto 2g to help people in fringe coverage areas.

Message 46 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Apple, give us our toggles back.....
Message 47 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple and 02.

wink
Message 48 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mixed results from the sim-swap:

Bad News: too early to be definitive yet but so far I'm not seeing any improvement in the phone's ability to switch from 2G to 3G without toggling airplane mode (in weak but viable 3G areas)

Good News: phone now sees Edge as a data signal (as well as GPRS), so at least messaging apps will work reasonably well, and other apps at least make the effort rather than reporting no connection

So next stage I guess is to wait for this O2 offer to switch to the 4G - you never know it might give the phone settings a kick in the right direction. If that fails then re-evaluate the options in my previous post.

Message 49 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
I really wish someone could put their finger on it. It's very frustrating this signal problem. Thanks for the update.
Message 50 of 134