cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5s keep connecting to GPRS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I am on my second iphone 5s in a week . The first one keeps losing 3G signal and changing to GPRS , which means if I'm out and about I cannot connect to internet or check e mails etc . I have spoken to customer services and changed a few thins , I went into O2 shop and they check SIM card and that was ok . I have received new phone today and it is only doing same thing so it can't be the handset this time . Has anyone any ideas ? Does O2 need to send settings to my phone !!!??? I have been with orange for years and never had a problem or on my iPhone 4S !
Message 1 of 134
133 REPLIES 133

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are cases on other networks.. Giff Gaff and EE that I can remember but O2 comes up a lot. ios 7 with iphone 5s on 4G on O2 for me anyway, don't seem to be that reliable.. Can we not have in the network carrier settings a toggle switch off GPRS and have 4G and fallback on 3G.. I know I'm getting to involved.
Message 11 of 134

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
We've all complained about the deletion of the 2g switch on O2 carrier settings, however, it does appear there is an issue with some handsets that the network cannot control.
It's always worth getting Apple to check out your handset first off just to rule that out as an issue and also a free sim swap may help.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
2nd phone, already changed at apple shop. Diagnosed ok. Obviously the network and manufacturer always blame each other.
Message 13 of 134

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Have you tried a new sim card ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going to see Apple Genius on Monday about the same issue - not picking up 3G unless I toggle airplane mode. Added problem on my 5S is that it refuses to see Edge as a data signal, no data apps work, although strangely they are ok on GPRS.

There's also supposed to be blanket 3G900 coverage outdoors in our village, but my phone has never got so much as a sniff (or single bar) of it on my walkabouts

Message 15 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please let us know the outcome of your appointment.

And........ Good luck.

Message 16 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks & will do. I'm not hopeful. It's my second Genius visit - the first could offer only the standard "full reset and restore". Maybe a few months on they will have more idea what's going on. As for network coverage, I suspect O2 are simply in denial as to the level of service they think they are providing  (if I were less charitable I might say the coverage maps are  "rigged")

Message 17 of 134

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

One problem with the map is that it is "theoretical" coverage and does not (or cannot) take into account terrain, obstacles and building construction.
I believe OFCOM recently took all networks to task to get them to improve the accuracy of their maps but they are all only intended as a guide.
We always recommend that potential customers should check actual coverage with a few different networks PAYG sim's before committing to a contract term.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks & will do. I'm not hopeful. It's my second Genius visit - the first could offer only the standard "full reset and restore". Maybe a few months on they will have more idea what's going on. As for network coverage, I suspect O2 are simply in denial as to the level of service they think they are providing  (if I were less charitable I might say the coverage maps are  "rigged")

You're welcome.

Fingers crossed for you.

Ask to speak to the Apple Store manager and try and press for a replacement.

Apple are known for their customer service and are proud of it.

Network Status Checkers are not 100% accurate unfortunatley.

Message 19 of 134

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ahhh, got excited when I saw an update iOS 7.0.5 "corrects network provisioning for some iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c models" then read "sold in China."
Message 20 of 134