i have taken a new contract with o2 with iphone 4s can i unlock my phone
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 212
Kudos: 891
Solutions: 971

Re: Iphone 4s Unlock

If the same applies after 4 was released expect 6 months of being locked
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
SimonHodgkiss

I was told I couldn't get my iPhone 4S unlocked today.
But got my old iPhone 4 unlocked fine.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
benlindley838

i cancelled my contract with o2 yesterday after being told in store and on the phone that unlocking the 4s would be no problem, just use the web form. Did that and was 4 days later was told that o2 have decided not to offer unlocks on the 4s yet despite this being a condition of me signing up for another contract. went back into the store who had no idea this was the case, same goes for the store manager. They rang o2 from store to cancel and they had no idea this was the case either. Both times i was given some ridiculous excuse that "the software was not available" to unlock despite me knowing all they have to do is inform apple of the unlock and its done on their database. All in all, very annoyed with o2, ive been a customer for years and they have lost nearly a grand over the course of my contract as a result. I know they can unlock they've just chosen not to. Great customer service
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 212
Kudos: 891
Solutions: 971

Can I buy a handset and get it unlocked and use it on another network?To make sure our iPhone 4S stock is reserved exclusively for genuine O2 customers during launch, we won't unlock iPhone 4S at this time.

source http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/topfaqs/
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
double101

1) That FAQ has been added since launch, it wasn't there on launch day
2) I checked in store before upgrading and I was told "sure, you can do it, just go to the O2 website and enter your details, it will be done in 14 days"
3) "To make sure our iPhone 4S stock is reserved exclusively for genuine O2 customers during launch, we won't unlock iPhone 4S at this time" > I am a genuine O2 customer who queued for 4 hours on launch day to collect my iPhone 4S from the O2. I don't know how much more of a "genuine O2 customer" I can be!
4) I've had the run around from support on this since I attempted to unlock via the form online, multiple emails and different people responding with incorrect and conflicting advice
5) I made a formal complaint a week ago, still haven't received a response to it.
This is the worst customer service I have ever received from a mobile network... scratch that, this is the worst customer experience I've ever received from any company!
Way to treat your loyal GOLD O2 customers. What a joke.
Please use plain text.
mitchja

If you really wanted a SIM-free 4S then why did you not buy it direct from Apple in the first place?
Please use plain text.
double101

I actually ordered a SIM Free iPhone 4S directly from Apple the day they started talking pre-orders.
I then got the email from O2 explaining that the 4S would be available to existing O2 customers only and they were offering 12 month deals.
So I visited a store and explained that I was happy to stick with O2 and welcomed a 12 month contract, but would need to unlock my iPhone 4S like I had done for my previous iPhones (also on contract from O2).
I was told that the service was available online directly from O2 and I would be able to unlock it as per my previous model.
Therefore in good faith I cancelled my SIM Free iPhone from Apple and stayed with O2. Hence my frustration that I'm now being told otherwise.
Please use plain text.
numanoids

I actually ordered a SIM Free iPhone 4S directly from Apple the day they started talking pre-orders.
I then got the email from O2 explaining that the 4S would be available to existing O2 customers only and they were offering 12 month deals.
So I visited a store and explained that I was happy to stick with O2 and welcomed a 12 month contract, but would need to unlock my iPhone 4S like I had done for my previous iPhones (also on contract from O2).
I was told that the service was available online directly from O2 and I would be able to unlock it as per my previous model.
Therefore in good faith I cancelled my SIM Free iPhone from Apple and stayed with O2. Hence my frustration that I'm now being told otherwise.

Without meaning to sound pedantic, "as per my previous model" - this is accurate, it was not possible to unlock the iphone4 until about 6 months after the release date.
Please use plain text.
double101

My turn to be pedantic... my previous version that was unlocked by O2 and that I confirmed with O2 that if I upgraded with them that I would still be able to unlock. Why would I upgrade to a locked version when I need an unlocked phone? Hardly an upgrade.
No one mentioned 6 months in the shop or at point of sale.
Please use plain text.