O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 1: Joiner
mikec1
Accepted Solution

Iphone 3GS unlock

Hi I am new to the forum but need help with an unlock code, I have bought a second hand Iphone 3gs on O2 and will be using a PAYG sim but I want to unlock it to use a local sim abroad is this possible via O2. Thanks in advance for any advice

Please use plain text.
Level 6: Acolyte
MiamiGuy

Re: Iphone 3GS unlock

As long as you use an o2 sim card in it first, so the network can pick it up, then fill in the unlocking form on the o2 website, you will be fine.

I usually advise, especially if a 2nd hand iphone, use your sim in it for 24 hours to give o2s systems time to pick it up, then once you fill out the form, everything will go through smoothly.

If you are unlocking it with a contract account, it would be free. As far as I am aware (dont quote me on this), but if you are unlocking it with o2 prepay, there is a £15 charge I believe? If this is still the case, make sure you have at least £15.00 of credit on your sim card.

I hope this helps.

I'm a Telefónica UK (O2) employee but post in a personal capacity. As such, views are my own and not those of the company.
Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 157
Solutions: 1,817

o2employee wrote:

If you are unlocking it with a contract account, it would be free. As far as I am aware (dont quote me on this), but if you are unlocking it with o2 prepay, there is a £15 charge I believe? If this is still the case, make sure you have at least £15.00 of credit on your sim card.

I hope this helps.

This is still the case. Be aware that if you are trying to unlock the phone from overseas, you might have a problem as O2 won't be able to associate the IMEI with the simcard as it will be connecting via the roaming network.

How do I unlock my phone so it can be used on other networks? | Support | O2

Please use plain text.
MiamiGuy

This is true as o2 will not be able to locate it on the network. So please make sure you use it in the UK first.

I'm a Telefónica UK (O2) employee but post in a personal capacity. As such, views are my own and not those of the company.
Please use plain text.
mikec1

Thanks for your help much appreciated
Please use plain text.
mikec1

Thanks for your help much appreciated I found the form and hope it will be sorted soon
Please use plain text.
jonsie
Topics: 157
Solutions: 1,817

Good luck, let us know how you get on.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
rambotron

Hi, first time on the forum but obviously not the only one with this type of problem. I have two iPhones -- a 4g and 3g. The 4g is halfway thru a 2 year o2 contract. the 3g is done and mine outright. I am now in the USA for an overseas work stint and cannot get the phones work on pay as you go sims here. i have asked o2 to unlock them but since we are already in the USA does that mean they cannot be unlocked by o2? any help appreciated as we didn't plan to buy new iphones and we are a bit lost without them.

Thanks, cg

Please use plain text.
MiamiGuy

If you used them in the UK in the past, then yes, you can still have them unlocked. As long as O2 can see they have been used on the O2 network, you can unlock both your 3G and 4S.

Please use plain text.
Wellandg

I have a 3GS I've just taken off a contract with O2 but want to give to my daughter to use on another network. As the contract is cancelled can O2 still unlock it?

Please use plain text.