cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Invalid SIM' in second-hand iPhone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, I've just been given an iPhone 4 to replace my iPhone 3 (I know, I'm very behind the times). The iPhone 4 came from my mother, i.e. a trustworthy source, so there's nothing dodgy about the handset.

Of course I needed a new SIM, as the iPhone 4 takes the micro SIM. I received this from O2 and instigated the SIM swap, which went through several hours later. Once my old SIM went dead, the message at the top left of the screen on the iPhone 4 changed from 'No Service' to 'Invalid SIM'. However, putting the new SIM into my iPhone 3 (with the help of the larger SIM frame supplied with the new SIM - thank goodness for that) allows me to use the iPhone 3 with the new SIM. So the SIM itself appears not to be faulty and to be properly activated.

My first thought was that the phone was locked by my mother's network, but she assures me that she paid to get the phone unlocked some time ago when she moved from one supplier (Carphone Warehouse) to another (Utilities Warehouse). Now these don't look like networks/carriers to me, but she tells me it's unlocked. I've just tried another full software/firmware restore through iTunes, this time with the SIM installed, in case the problem was that I set up the phone without it. Halfway through the process, iTunes gave me this message:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information.

Can anyone tell me definitively what this means? It says to request that my carrier unlock the phone, but does that mean the new carrier (i.e. O2) or the old - i.e. does it mean the phone has been locked by the previous carrier, or that the new carrier needs to authorise/activate it in some way. As I say, the new SIM is working in my old phone (and thank goodness for that), so it doesn't seem to be the SIM itself that is the problem.

Ideally I'd have spoken to O2 customer services, but they are impossible to get through to at the moment, and the 'live chat' help isn't available, so I've come here to ask you good folks for help. Hope you can help me!

otter

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, I asked my mother yesterday to contact her supplier and ask it they had locked it. She used to be on Orange, and I think is now on EE, although it's confused by the Carphone/Utility Warehouse stuff. I wanted to look into other possibilities at the same time to avoid wasting her time if possible.

It does seem that it's Apple's servers which are giving the 'locked' message, rather than O2, and I've just found this page on the Carphone Warehouse site, which says 'Most of the phones we sell aren't locked to a network, including almost all of our SIM free phones. That means you can put any UK SIM card into your phone and enjoy the benefits of whichever UK network you prefer. Exceptions: iPhone is unlocked when you buy it SIM free but Apple's software means it locks to the first network you use it with,' which again suggests it's an Apple thing rather than a network thing.

Message 11 of 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 12 of 28

MI5
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes the additional failure to sync info you have provided confirms it is locked to EE.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 28

MI5
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
EE ate notoriously difficult with unlocking phones though.
It had to be the original customer and usually whilst still in contact.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 28

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
EE are notoriously difficult with porting also
Message 17 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks  again, everyone. That confirms what I originally thought. I'll pass it on to my mum (with the EE link).

Message 18 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks  again, everyone. That confirms what I originally thought. I'll pass it on to my mum (with the EE link).

Good idea @Anonymous Hope all goes well. Pop back and let us know (if you have the time):smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 28

MI5
  • 144316 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Good luck slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 20 of 28