O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 1: Joiner
beefy

Internet Tethering con

Can anyone explain to me why O2 are wanting to charge us for the new internet tethering feature??

Surely we already pay for unlimited data via our current package and simply plugging our phones into a laptop shouldnt affect this?

Absolutely disgraceful if you ask me!
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
hypercrypt

Internet Tethering con

Because the usage through a computer is different (in volume) than that of the phone. The price has been calculated on phone use, not computer use. It's a little like an all-you-can-eat restaurant, it doesn't let you take food home and would probably charge extra if it did...
Please use plain text.
Level 12: Nimble
ippyboi

Internet Tethering con

Yes its an additional cost but to be honest if it was cheaper or free.. then like everything people would abuse it making the network so slow... you would get a drip rather than the upto 3.6 speeds we get at the moment

The only other option would be to put a limit on how much wifi you get for free... and if you look at mobile broadband this is just as costly if you need to buy
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
beefy

Internet Tethering con

What do you two work for o2??

I paid for the phone, the phones features have been upgraded yet i'm being charged for using them??
Please use plain text.
Level 12: Nimble
ippyboi

Internet Tethering con

I dont work for o2 but its logic... like broadband at home.. the more people on your local exchange the slower the speeds get. Everyone would like free teathering but o2 or any other network that offered unlimted teathering would be at a standstill

PS you asked a question... you got the answer...
Please use plain text.
hypercrypt

Internet Tethering con

I don't work for O2. The contract you signed and pay for explicitly states that you cannot use the unlimited data for tethering. What are you complaining about?
Please use plain text.
DonDino2

Internet Tethering con

I too support free and open 3G Data access, and I can't stress enough how you can stil tether for light use (web browsing and emailing, chatting perhaps as well) and O2 won't bother you at all - but not to overdo it with video streaming etc otherwise they might tell you to slow down.

However it is true that the network, not because of O2 (or any particular network) but because of its inherent characteristics, just can't take more than a small bunch of data users hogging it at once. Therefore, it would not be realistic to allow very cheap or free data access, as the first lucky few would manage to get on, and then the multitude of the remaining customers who then tried to connect would get very very slow speeds or no connection at all... Then of course they would complain about the network being bad, and no chance O2 would be able to explain that this is how the network works :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
hypercrypt

Internet Tethering con

What's your source for that?
Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
mitchja

Internet Tethering con

Don't bother with O2 tethering. There are far cheaper mobile broadband options available out there.

Three seem to offer the best mobile broadband deals. Much much better 3G coverage than O2 will ever have. OK their customer service is dire but you probably wont need to contact them much anyway.

I can also easily get 2.8Mb download speeds with Three PAYG mobile broadband as well. Never seen anything faster than 2Mb on O2 3G.
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
_Adam

Internet Tethering con

What do you two work for o2??
I paid for the phone, the phones features have been upgraded yet i'm being charged for using them??

LOLz - I guess you're against paying 4x for the MMS too from Wednesday :womanindifferent:

When I was on Vodaphone (the good days) you're allwed to tether - I used my old Sony to do this and was fine, no problems at all... We can only hope Apple change soon.
Please use plain text.
Ask a Question
Welcome