O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
p0Wer

How to change Message Service Center Number?

So I'm trying to receive texts from a couple of friends who live in Mexico (who have Mexican phones and are on Mexican networks), and I simply never receive them. They receive my texts fine, but I never receive there's back. Now, before anybody tells me to make sure they're texting me with the correct number and country code, yes, it's correct. :smileywink:

Okay, so it was last year when I originally found this problem (almost a year today if you look at my past forum posts) and O2 couldn't do anything about it. I fiddled around with my phone and decided to change my "Message Service Center Address". I created a new "Message profile" on my phone and the Message Service Center Address was Orange's PAYG number. By setting my phone into this profile, I COULDN'T send texts (it just gave me an error), but I COULD receive their texts. So basically, in order to send a text I had to switch back to my normal O2 Message Service Center Address and then once the text had sent, I quickly changed to the Orange Message Service Center Address and received all of their texts fine. :smileyhappy:

Yesterday, I bought an iPhone 3GS 16GB model. With it being a new SIM (although the PAYG Message Service Center Address was still the same) I asked my friends to text me. No luck, didn't receive a single text. :smileymad:

So I thought, "great I'm going to have to continue 'profile switching' just to be able to read their messages". But hmm, I don't know how to do this. I had a look on the internet and found a way to change the Message Service Center Address but for me it isn't working.

On the keypad, I type: *#5005*7672*+447973100973#

.. but I get an error saying: "Error performing request Unknown Error". Am i doing something wrong?

This REALLY bothers me as I've been an O2 customer for years and would love to simple just receive their text messages without having to "profile switch".

Thanks a lot- to anyone that can help -, sorry for writing an essay :smileywink:

- David.
Please use plain text.
Level 5: Ponderer
mitchja

Sorry but I don't think you can change the SMS message centre number on an iPhone like you can on other handsets.

This data is held in the carrier software (which you can't access directly or change). There are no visible settings for changing the SMS message center number.
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
p0Wer

Hmm okay. :smileyindifferent:

One of my friends in Mexico rang up the network's customer support and they managed to fix it, I can receive texts from her. I'll get the others to also ring up and I'll post here with the results :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.
Ask a Question
Welcome