O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

MI5
Topics: 233
Solutions: 2,897

Re: How to call 0800 numbers FREE from your mobile....

Different buisiness models... Equally you could say "why doesn't GG have a customer service number cause O2 does".......
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM. Asus Fonepad.
(HTC One M7. Samsung ATIV s. Xperia Z1.)
Note 4 (still) pre-ordered.
Please use plain text.
damien1
Topics: 88
Blog Posts: 0

Hopefully Ofcom will sort it out and make all networks provide them free as they should be

Please use plain text.
MI5

Agreed. I know they are looking into it and it would save much confusion.....
Please use plain text.
damien1
Topics: 88
Blog Posts: 0

It certainly would

Please use plain text.
DMW
Level 1: Joiner
DMW

Re: Yep works :-)

Try "say no to 0870" hun... Database of loads of numbers... Really helpful :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
coolcity

[ Edited ]

Some good info on here.

I know this is an old thread but still relevant. Just one point that everybody seems to have missed. 0800 numbers are not free. They are paid for by somebody, generally the firm you are calling. This might sound good for us as consumers but it all goes on to what they charge you for their goods or services somewhere along the line, and the cost to the firm is far higher than what a standard phone call would cost because there is another company somewhere inbetween that is providing the freephone number, and obviously they take a cut of the call cost.

I used one around 10 years ago when I had a small electrical business, and the costs can run up quickly. Back then most people still used a landline but nowadays most people use mobiles, so I would be paying an awful lot more now than I did 10 years ago to take your calls.

So please remember when you are ringing a "free" number, somebody somewhere is paying for it. If ringing from a landline the firm paying for it pays for the cost of a normal landline call + the extra fee charged by the provider, but from a mobile phone they are obviously paying mobile operator's standard rates, which can be up to 40p a minute. That's why calls are not free from a mobile phone.

If you have an android phone the easiest way by far is to install "WeQ4Y" from Google store. From the app description:

"To use it, just enter the number you wish to reach and the app will connect you. If you get stuck in a queue, just press 9* on your telephone keypad, and your phone will disconnect from the call.

We'll stay in the queue for you, and when an agent answers, you will be automatically reconnected straight away."

Call costs come from your standard inclusives, but you do not pay for the time the call is queing. The best thing is it just works. A lot quicker than searching SayNoTo0870 which doesn't always have an alternative number anyway.

Please use plain text.
MI5

WeQ4U app is available for Apple and Android.
If you don't have either of those you can just dial 0333 5432111, and then the number you wish to call....
Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
Toby

Hi guys,

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I think I'll close the thread as it is very old now, but shall of course leave your comments here :smileyhappy:
We were all new here once, be welcoming! :smileyhappy:

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a private message.

Please use plain text.