O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Stv
Level 2: Apprentice
Stv

How much data have you used?

So O2 are capping the amount of downloading you can do on your iPhone with a new limit as low as 500MB per month. They say that 97% of customers won't be affected as most use only about 250MB. So far as I can tell, ther is no way of checking they are right. How much data do you use every month? Do you have an idea? Would you know how to find out? As there has been unlimited data until know, has it even occurred to you to check? Well, looks like it's one more thing you may have to worry about from now on.

I'd like to know how much data I have used in a typical month, so I can make an informed choice when it comes to possible upgrading to a new iPhone and tariff. According to the replies to comments on the O2 blog, the company is saying that you can check your data usage in the past on bills and online at the O2 website if you have online billing. I've checked both and there is no such information there, unless it is well hidden or I am particularly poor-sighted (both are a possibility!).

Does anyone know how to check, retrospectively? I know you can reset the meters on your iPhone every month, but that doesn't help to find out what you have used so far if you haven't been doing it until know (and why would you with unlimited data?).
Please use plain text.
DAW
Level 12: Nimble
DAW

It's all on your My O2 page online, in the bill section there's a link for you to see your useage.
Please use plain text.
Stv
Stv

It's all on your My O2 page online, in the bill section there's a link for you to see your useage.

Thanks - have now found it - right under my nose!

My O2
(Log in)
View Bill
View Bill Details
Previous Bills
Select Bill
Go
What I've Used
UK Browse and Download
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
johnwin

Please search before starting a new thread - there are several similar ones here. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
giamburrasca

I have a BB (as opposed to the iPlod that everyone is hyperventilating about). I use it extensively to view web pages, send and receive around 100 emails a day and use Twitter as a news feed that refreshes every few minutes. Admittedly, as I live in a GPRS area, I will generally only use wi-fi for streaming vid.

My average data usage, based on the above, is around 130 megs a month.

I'm struggling to understand how folk with enough time on their hands to want or need 1gig of data can afford to pay for an iphone contract in the first place.

It's time for a little pause for reflection here. Firstly, given the expect to which smartphones dominate the data landscape, its just about irrelevant to ask if the 97% figure relates to smartphones only or all devices.

Second, check your past data usage as shown above; you might be surprised at how little you use.

Thirdly, don't think o2 will be held to ransom on this, with deals to be done buy the retentions team. They will be glad to see the high rollers go.

Heavy users switching to PAYG to achieve unlimited data usage and buying their own iphone on the net will mean that o2 won't be subsidising a device which is ruthlessly price controlled by the manufacturer.

And lastly, if you think you will get customer service at the turnaround speed that o2 offer, just try phoning a T-Mo helpline, for example. It will be a salutary experience, I would suggest.
Please use plain text.
wtcfiphone

Thanks - have now found it - right under my nose!
My O2
(Log in)
View Bill
View Bill Details
Previous Bills
Select Bill
Go
What I've Used
UK Browse and Download

O2's online billing system is terrible, the most GUI UNFRIENDLY experience ever. What a relief that you can't log in half the time, so you don't even have to look at the billing
Will
Please use plain text.
David_Kendall

My bill shows 90,454kb in a month !!
Whats that in MB ?
Please use plain text.
joolze

My bill shows 90,454kb in a month !!
Whats that in MB ?

90Mb, give or take.

Fine, well below the 500Mb limit.
32Gb Black iPhone 4
16Gb Black iPhone 3G on Simplicity, Mio A701 on Orange PAYG, Motorola V3 on Orange PAYG,
Nokia 7110 on Orange PAYG, Philips C12 on BT Cellnet PAYG, Ericsson SH888 on Orange Contract
Please use plain text.
David_Kendall

Thnks. Is kb just another name for mb then ?
Please use plain text.
slgleg

I listen to online streaming radio on my way to work for about 30 mins over 3g.

Any idea how much data this uses ?

Thanks
Please use plain text.