cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I register my new phone in order to unlock it if I don't have O2 sim

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys, recently I did an upgrade and I took a new iphone 5s for my boyfried and he wants to use it with three instead of with O2,,,I'm trying to unlock it filling the online aplication form with the imei number but they texted me saying that my device wasn't registered with O2 so they can't do anything...how can I register my phone in order to unlock it if I don't have O2 sim card?

Do I have to finally pay in this kind of street shops to unlock it? Is there any other way to do it?

Thanks a lot

Message 1 of 33
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Put your old sim into it for a few days then fill out the request form.
It needs to register on the network and get associated with your account.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Re unlocking....This all depends on whether you are on Contract or PAYG

On contract.... you should be able to unlock it straight away

If you are PAYG then you can only unlock the iphone after 12 months. It would cost you £15

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

I know you say you have tried the unlocking form but I have enclosed the link just in case..

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, maybe I forgot to say that I kept my old phone and my number, so the new one is "virgin" no PAYG no monthly contract,,,nothing at all,,,so I think after reading similar cases that I'll have to do it throught an street shop taken the risk that this means... thanks for your answer

Message 3 of 33

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Message 4 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

I didn't realise it wasn't registered with any network...so yes do as Viridis says... wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, maybe I forgot to say that I kept my old phone and my number, so the new one is "virgin" no PAYG no monthly contract,,,nothing at all,,,so I think after reading similar cases that I'll have to do it throught an street shop taken the risk that this means... thanks for your answer

Have you migrated to another Network now ?

You can still unlock via O2 as you did have an account if this is the case. Ring customer services o2 Customer Services Link http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus to request the unlock or ask someone you know who is on an O2 monthly contract to insert their SIM card, make a few calls to latch it and they request the unlock. Or pick up an O2 Payg SIM card , upload £20 and make some chargeable calls leaving £15 on it and then request the unlock via the online form. 

Please don't try and get it unlocked at a flea market or HighStreet phone shop , and I think you may find they cannot unlock anyway. I've yet to see a standalone shop that offers unlocking. Don't be tempted by online options either. 

Message 6 of 33

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If the new iPhone has never been used on O2 they won't unlock it so you need to put either an O2 contract or PAYG sim card in it and use it for a day or two to make some calls etc, then fill out the unlock form or contact CS to make the request.
The important bit is that the phone has to be used on O2 network.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 33

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys, recently I did an upgrade and I took a new iphone 5s for my boyfried and he wants to use it with three instead of with O2,,

The point being in my previous post, if you upgraded to a phone locked to o2 you must have an o2 sim to use in it for the few days needed to get it latched to your number.

Message 8 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Indeed...the important bit of info came in the OPs second post....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am slightly confused here @Anonymous as you have said the 5s is am upgrade but then you refer to Virgin.

May I please clarify, where did you get the 5s from? O2 or Virgin? Are you sure it is currently locked to a network? My understanding of IPhone is that they generally lock out to the first sim used if not locked by a network.
Message 10 of 33