cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High data usage on iphone 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - never used the forum before as I am a new customer, but have twice tried 02 customer service on this and got nowhere. So, here goes... I have had my iphone 5 for just over a month. It is mostly used by my daughter who likes to imessage her friends. She also uses a few apps lightly, mostly games and photo creators etc. She doesn't use facebook or twitter and has no access to email. However, within the first two weeks of having it, 02 tells us she has used 1.75Gb of data. And I just can't figure out how this has happened. I am no expert on all things mobile, but have installed an Onavo app which tells me she has barely used 100kb. I got her an additional 500mb when the message came through from 02 and it was gone in a couple of days. she had hardly used anything and was messaging over wifi.

Can anyone suggest what might be using so much data?

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think youve covered things very well there bambino.

And yes the iPhone auto switches to 3G from WiFi when in sleep mode to save on battery juice.

Location services uses data as well does Siri.

Here are a few tips i've picked up from other communities and my own experience.

Network Reset: reset the network connection…
Make sure you know [or have saved] your various wifi passwords so you can quickly set them up again.
Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings.

Cellular Data& 3G; turn it Off when you don't need it…
This may sound messy, but it is really no more so than turning off WiFi, or Bluetooth, when you know you will not be using it.  Maybe Apple will move this setting to the front page of Settings, as they have done with Bluetooth in iOS 6
Settings, General, Cellular, Cellular Data, Off.

iCloud Backup: Turn it Off except when you need to do a Backup to iCloud…
Otherwise iPhone will automatically do a Backup over WiFi and/or Cellular Network, while it is on Power, and sleeping.
Settings, iCloud, Storage and Backup, iCloud Backup, Off.

iCloud Documents & Data: turn off the use of the Cellular Data connection, until you need it…
Settings, iCloud, Documents & Data, Use Cellular Data, Off.

Location Services: make sure only the apps you consider critical are switched on…
These are new Settings in iOS 6. 
Settings, Privacy, Location Services, and turn Off each Application that is not important to you.
Obviously you would tend to leave On Maps, Photo, Find Friends, Find My iPhone, Weather and Siri.

System Services: apparently, some of these can be demanding on Cellular Network usage...
Settings, Privacy, Location Services, and scroll down past the notes at the bottom of the list of Applications, and select System Services, and turn them all Off except Cell Network Search.
If the Maps Traffic service is important to you, turn it On, but be warned it may be a bit of a hog.

Notification Centre: work through each Application carefully, to determine what you really do need real time?
Settings, Notifications, select each Application, and turn Notification Centre, Off, if you do not need Notification in real time…

Siri: every iPhone User now understand how to use Siri…
However you should be aware that Siri support has been expanded significantly in iOS 6, to include operation of your iPhone, to send text, make appointments, find restaurants, make bookings, and handle your dictation.  The catch is that Siri services contacts the Apple Server via the network to translate your voice, do the searches, and return your results.  You can leave Siri On but be aware of using Siri, when you are only connected via Cellular Data, and low on Data Usage remaining…
Settings, General, Siri, Siri, On. by default,...

There is also a new setting included in several Applications which allow you to turn off the Cellular Data Connection while they are active...
Music: Settings, Music, Use Cellular Data, Off.
iTunes and App Store: Settings, iTunes and App Store, Use Cellular Data, Off.
Podcasts: Settings, Podcasts, Auto-Downloads, Use Cellular Data, Off.

Mail: you can set up mail to better manage Cellular Data Usage, if it suits your operation…
Settings, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Fetch New Data, Push, Off, and set Fetch to Manually.
And select, Advanced, and for each Mail Account, Select Schedule, Manually.

And finally, here are a few more services you can probably do without, to further reduce Cellular Data usage…
Advertising: Settings, General, About, scroll down to Advertising, Limit Ad Tracking, On.
Diagnostics and Usage:  Settings, General, About, scroll down to Diagnostics & Usage, Don't Send, On.

Link :

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/spending_saving/2012/11/16/10_ways_to_cut_your_mobi...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

It will most likely be apps updating in the background. Make sure your mobile data is switched off, and only turn it on when you need it. Update any apps you have over WiFi, if you can. I'm not an iphone person, but I believe the iPhone switches itself to mobile data when the phone is asleep to supposedly save battery life. Why Apple thinks that saves money is beyond me. Maybe BandofBrothers or Fatboy, who are ardent iPhone fans can explain it better if they see your post.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think youve covered things very well there bambino.

And yes the iPhone auto switches to 3G from WiFi when in sleep mode to save on battery juice.

Location services uses data as well does Siri.

Here are a few tips i've picked up from other communities and my own experience.

Network Reset: reset the network connection…
Make sure you know [or have saved] your various wifi passwords so you can quickly set them up again.
Settings, General, Reset, Reset Network Settings.

Cellular Data& 3G; turn it Off when you don't need it…
This may sound messy, but it is really no more so than turning off WiFi, or Bluetooth, when you know you will not be using it.  Maybe Apple will move this setting to the front page of Settings, as they have done with Bluetooth in iOS 6
Settings, General, Cellular, Cellular Data, Off.

iCloud Backup: Turn it Off except when you need to do a Backup to iCloud…
Otherwise iPhone will automatically do a Backup over WiFi and/or Cellular Network, while it is on Power, and sleeping.
Settings, iCloud, Storage and Backup, iCloud Backup, Off.

iCloud Documents & Data: turn off the use of the Cellular Data connection, until you need it…
Settings, iCloud, Documents & Data, Use Cellular Data, Off.

Location Services: make sure only the apps you consider critical are switched on…
These are new Settings in iOS 6. 
Settings, Privacy, Location Services, and turn Off each Application that is not important to you.
Obviously you would tend to leave On Maps, Photo, Find Friends, Find My iPhone, Weather and Siri.

System Services: apparently, some of these can be demanding on Cellular Network usage...
Settings, Privacy, Location Services, and scroll down past the notes at the bottom of the list of Applications, and select System Services, and turn them all Off except Cell Network Search.
If the Maps Traffic service is important to you, turn it On, but be warned it may be a bit of a hog.

Notification Centre: work through each Application carefully, to determine what you really do need real time?
Settings, Notifications, select each Application, and turn Notification Centre, Off, if you do not need Notification in real time…

Siri: every iPhone User now understand how to use Siri…
However you should be aware that Siri support has been expanded significantly in iOS 6, to include operation of your iPhone, to send text, make appointments, find restaurants, make bookings, and handle your dictation.  The catch is that Siri services contacts the Apple Server via the network to translate your voice, do the searches, and return your results.  You can leave Siri On but be aware of using Siri, when you are only connected via Cellular Data, and low on Data Usage remaining…
Settings, General, Siri, Siri, On. by default,...

There is also a new setting included in several Applications which allow you to turn off the Cellular Data Connection while they are active...
Music: Settings, Music, Use Cellular Data, Off.
iTunes and App Store: Settings, iTunes and App Store, Use Cellular Data, Off.
Podcasts: Settings, Podcasts, Auto-Downloads, Use Cellular Data, Off.

Mail: you can set up mail to better manage Cellular Data Usage, if it suits your operation…
Settings, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Fetch New Data, Push, Off, and set Fetch to Manually.
And select, Advanced, and for each Mail Account, Select Schedule, Manually.

And finally, here are a few more services you can probably do without, to further reduce Cellular Data usage…
Advertising: Settings, General, About, scroll down to Advertising, Limit Ad Tracking, On.
Diagnostics and Usage:  Settings, General, About, scroll down to Diagnostics & Usage, Don't Send, On.

Link :

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/spending_saving/2012/11/16/10_ways_to_cut_your_mobi...

Message 3 of 15

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Very thorough, bob, and much more precise than my brief explanation. I kind of knew you would come up with something like that. Hopefully the OP will take all your info on board and be able to help their daughter to manage her phone better. Well done. slight_smile

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 15

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Very nice post BoB slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers Guys.

slight_smile

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very comprehensive! Many thanks all. Fingers crossed I can figure it out. I am doing much more on my iPhone 4 and not using up anywhere near the same amount of data. Strange indeed...
Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Certainly is a poser !

I've used the ip4, ip4s and now ip5 all with a payg 1Gb data bundle ,and only once went over the limit.

The key as I've said is to use wifi where you can.

Take care.
Message 8 of 15

Jeevster
Level 4: Observant
  • 175 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
you can also download an app called my data manager, which will tell you which apps are using data and how much
Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Onavo Count 2.0 is another good programme to consider.

http://www.onavo.com/

Message 10 of 15