cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High data usage in iPhone 6 iOS 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anyone experiencing high data usage on iOS 8?

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5, and would use around 500mb per month. Since upgrading to an iPhone 6 I am currenly using around 300mb a day - with only safari browsing. I have restored the phone and turned off iTunes store (apple id) and iCloud. I have no apps installed, and yet I get this high data use.

I have even put my sim in my old phone and data is still draining!

Anyone have any ideas  - surely this is an O2 issue?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive noticed that Onavo installs a vpn profile - is this secure?

Message 21 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We've never heard anything negative about it.
Obviously if you're not happy yourself though you need to remove the app.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Is anyone experiencing high data usage on iOS 8?

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5, and would use around 500mb per month. Since upgrading to an iPhone 6 I am currenly using around 300mb a day - with only safari browsing. I have restored the phone and turned off iTunes store (apple id) and iCloud. I have no apps installed, and yet I get this high data use.

I have even put my sim in my old phone and data is still draining!

Anyone have any ideas  - surely this is an O2 issue?

I had a spell last weekend where I had a high amount of data used for no explainable reason. This happened to me with an earlier iOS update a couple of years ago.

I rang 202 and explained that I hadnt used the data (I'd been setting my iPhone up via iTunes most of that day and had been on wifi). They gave me 100 MB free to put me on to my next billing date.

Touch wood, I havent had the issue return.

If you already havent done this. Update to iOS 8.0.2, as one of the fixes in this update is:

'Fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages'

Message 23 of 23