O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Apple iOS Devices (iPhone, iPad)

Level 2: Apprentice
RDPearson

Help with unlocking iPhone

Hi all

I bought an Iphone a few months ago from a friend of a friend. He upgraded to a 3GS and the 3G was surplus to his needs.

A few weeks ago I submitted a request to O2 to unlock my iPhone. After 2 weeks I just received a text saying we cant unlock the phone. No reason or anything.

If I use an O2 sim in it everything work fine but if I put any other sim from another operater it doesnt work.

I currently use PAYG on a different network and need to use my phone. I unlocked the phone myself a while back but then made a mistake of saying yes to an Itunes software upgrade (3.1.3). Now I cant get back to where I was.

I have telephoned O2 about this but they were just plain rude telling me that they cant help. I must use the email support request. I have emailed O2 asking about this a couple of times but have yet to even get an answer from them.

Would anybody have any advice on how I can get O2 to unlock this? I would prefer it to be properly unlocked so I dont have this issue again if any new software updates come out.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Richard
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 951
Solutions: 1,018

get an o2 payg sim put at least the £15 plus enough to make a few calls on the sim keep the o2 sim in the iphone then submit the unlock form.

Wait the 14 days and then try the sim you want to use you get no confirmation email but on payg it can take 4 days from £15.00 being taken to unlock the iphone

Follow the link in my signature there is all the info there about unlocking including a faq why they cannot unlock.
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
RDPearson

Thanks but I did ask them about that when I called but they said it is not neccessary as I do have another phone using O2 on contract. They told me to insert that sim into the phone and request using that number.

I have no problem paying £15 if it will get it done but I dont want to go do that and resubmit, wait another couple of weeks and just get another failed to unlock text. All that will do is cost me £15 + sim and another two weeks without the phone. Also keeping that sim in the phone means that I cant receive any calls. Currently I have swapped the sims around. My contract sim is in my iphone and my PAYG is in the other phone that O2 provided. Strangely enough the other phone is not network locked.

If somehow I could get them to provide me with details on why the unlock failed then I can move forward.
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 951
Solutions: 1,018

Ok now you have an 02 contract sim in the locked iphone try the form again as the imei number of the iphone will register against your contract sim and number.
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
RDPearson

The contract sim was in the phone when I did the request. They just sent me a text 2 weeks later saying they cant unlock. No reason why though.
Please use plain text.
RDPearson

Contacted O2 customer services again yesterday. They say that because I am not the person they sold the phone too they are not prepared to help me. This is getting ridiculous. The phone is out of contract but they wont help at all.

I am getting so frustrated with this.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
boogie1263

Unlock

Hi,

I am having the same problem, just got a text from o2 saying unlock failed, phoned o2 and they dont know why it failed, they said it goes to apple and they do the unlock. The guy is calling me later today or tomorrow as is gonna get in touch with apple to see why or what is happening.
Will let you know if i have any joy and get any info that can help, u had anymore luck yet.
Please use plain text.
RDPearson

This morning recieved a text saying phone unlocked even though I got the previous text a couple of weeks back saying they cant unlock. I didnt even resubmit the application but somehow it seems to have gone through.

Weird.
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
boogie1263

unlock

Very odd but atleast you got there in the end even if it did take a while, hoping o2 dont take forever sorting mine out and get back to me.
Please use plain text.
TheKingOfHearts

Heres the issue;

Hi guys! O2's service has never been anything but flawless with me (besides the one time at Christmas I got put through to an Indian overflow support worker who didn't know her ass from her elbow) and I can tell you right off the bat the issue, O2 will NOT unlock automatically (via their website system) any iPhone that isn't on an iPhone tarrif. This means you have a few issues, which are extremely easily, or awkwardly, resolved.

You can either, get an iPhone Simplicity tarrif for one month (any price range)

or move your current contract over to a one of those if you're out of contract (I'd recommend this, as they use the official apple idata.o2.co.uk settings which will get you faster speeds than mobile.o2.co.uk.

Or, if you're still in contract, and If so I'd suggest the first, but you could also ring them, and they'll move you onto one of the more costly iPhone tarrifs (as if you got the iPhone free or subsidised at the start) you therefore will be paying as if you got your iPhone from day 1 subsidised for the remainder of your ORIGINAL contract.

Hope this helps,

TheKingOfHearts
Please use plain text.