cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP NEEDED Data not working IPhone 6 3GB

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

For the past few months have had extremely frustrating issues surrounding my data usage on my O2 phone. It's a long story and I'll try and keep it brief.

Around Feb/March on old contract/phone ( Iphone 5s 1GB) - found that when I ran out of data and called 2202 to add more data, I would be charged but the data was never used. As soon as I hung up the phone it still wouldn't connect (which it didnt use to do before)

Got a new phone and contract on upgrade - IPhone 6, 3GB - As soon as I took it home and switched it on I got a text saying my data had run out. O2 said this was because my new contract had not kicked in. Left it 24 hours and still did not work on data. TRIED EVERYTHING network settings update/changed APN/turned on and off/reset. Nothing worked. They even added 5GB of data and changed my contract for the remainder of the month which they said should kick it into gear but it did not work at all. Never used my new phone on 3G. 

Then my bill date came - and it miraculously worked - clearly because the data had been reset. Within two weeks it had run out (no idea how I am very good with data) and AGAIN same issue - couldn’t add more

o2 have been extremely unhelpful and saying the issue is my fault and something is draining my data. My issue is though how can it work fine for 2 weeks and then as soon as I add more within milliseconds of putting down the phone something has sucked all my data? No account issues/nothing they can see is wrong apart from my account says I have used all my data (including the 1GB I called up to add on.)

Im waiting for my bill date which is the 24th to see what happens. But o2 have essentially said they cannot help me which is ridiculous. I have changed all my data settings to stop push notifications/background app refresh etc.

Any ideas as to why when I run out that is it? 

Apologies for the long message but its been an ongoing issue and very frustrating.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

I wish you all the best with this. There's something badly wrong somewhere. 

Message 21 of 28

MI5
  • 144369 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
You've got more patience than I had wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 22 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Everyone on here knows I had the same problem and I think you will all agree that I know what I'm talking about, yes....?
Well O2 were useless and failed to do anything except to keep on saying it was my fault.. The only way I got round the issue was by moving that account to EE.
UntilO2 acknowledge this as an issue and do something to investigate it will continue to pop up for more customers such as yourself.

I too had the same issue on two separate occasions, but I haven't had it in over 12 months. It definitely needs investigated further, as it keeps cropping up for other customers from time to time. 

I was able to get O2 to credit me some more free data, after going through the obvious options of checking apps in the mobile data section to see if any were using lots of data (which I had already done) and also after been told that I must have used it.

When I explained that the data had been used when I was in bed (as I checked to large data amount and the time used in My O2) and also if they could check (for want of a better word) what service had used the data, O2 informed me that it wasn't possible for them to see that information. So I was no wiser as to what used the data.

Like yourself, I will probably move to EE come October (after first trying them out for a month on pay & go), but not for the same reason as yourself, but because I am fed up with having a decent data allowance that I cannot fully utilise because the 3G in my area on O2 is really slow and 4G is still a couple of years off with O2 I think in my area.

Message 23 of 28

MI5
  • 144369 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
First reports of this issue go back at least 3 years and they haven't investigated it properly yet.
As it only hits a few people and at random they hope it will be ignored.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 24 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help everyone.

They've agreed to let me out of the phone contract no charge because they couldn't solve the problem and thankfully because my My o2 account was wrong they knew it wasn't my fault.

There was definitley more to it then that too as even when they added 5GB of data it still wouldnt work.

Anyway. Suggestions for a new network would be helpful!

Message 25 of 28

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Suggestions for a new network would be helpful!

Probably best to apply for a few sims from other companies and check them for coverage.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 26 of 28

MI5
  • 144369 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Well done in getting some form of resolution.

The choice of network is determined solely by the signal in the locations you live and travel.

Make sure you test thoroughly with PAYG sim cards before committing to a lengthy contract that you are stuck with.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Providing your phone is unlocked. Try a few different Pay & Go sim cards for the different networks, in the areas where you travel and use your phone the most, to see which gives you best coverage and also important too, 3G or even 4G coverage.

I tried the Three network out last year and found them to be very good indeed. Night and day difference to the poor/patchy 3G coverage I get with O2.

I'll be looking to change networks in a few months, and I am going to give EE a try as there the only network that is covering the fringe of where I live (at this moment in time) so I expect in a few months my town should be covered. I'm impressed with the speed of which EE have rolled out the 4G coverage in the nearby areas where I live.

Whichever network you decide to go with. I would advise stopping on Pay & Go with them for a few months, just so you can see more thoroughly what that network is like, before commiting to something more long term.

Message 28 of 28