cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP NEEDED Data not working IPhone 6 3GB

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

For the past few months have had extremely frustrating issues surrounding my data usage on my O2 phone. It's a long story and I'll try and keep it brief.

Around Feb/March on old contract/phone ( Iphone 5s 1GB) - found that when I ran out of data and called 2202 to add more data, I would be charged but the data was never used. As soon as I hung up the phone it still wouldn't connect (which it didnt use to do before)

Got a new phone and contract on upgrade - IPhone 6, 3GB - As soon as I took it home and switched it on I got a text saying my data had run out. O2 said this was because my new contract had not kicked in. Left it 24 hours and still did not work on data. TRIED EVERYTHING network settings update/changed APN/turned on and off/reset. Nothing worked. They even added 5GB of data and changed my contract for the remainder of the month which they said should kick it into gear but it did not work at all. Never used my new phone on 3G. 

Then my bill date came - and it miraculously worked - clearly because the data had been reset. Within two weeks it had run out (no idea how I am very good with data) and AGAIN same issue - couldn’t add more

o2 have been extremely unhelpful and saying the issue is my fault and something is draining my data. My issue is though how can it work fine for 2 weeks and then as soon as I add more within milliseconds of putting down the phone something has sucked all my data? No account issues/nothing they can see is wrong apart from my account says I have used all my data (including the 1GB I called up to add on.)

Im waiting for my bill date which is the 24th to see what happens. But o2 have essentially said they cannot help me which is ridiculous. I have changed all my data settings to stop push notifications/background app refresh etc.

Any ideas as to why when I run out that is it? 

Apologies for the long message but its been an ongoing issue and very frustrating.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144081 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
It's a common issue on iPhones (search the forum and you'll see many threads) however, O2 are refusing to accept it.
I'd raise a complaint and get a higher level to look into your issue, or just move to a different network http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've said I want to leave O2 but seeing as it's a brand new contract I can't afford to pay it off

Message 3 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous

have you installed any new app recently? also have you been to settings > cellular >cellular data usage and checked what is "eating "all the data?

Message 4 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've changed all my settings to fetch turned off everything from eating up background data, only left things which i needon as background refresh

I should be able to use my phone easily but all this has been a nightmare

Message 5 of 28

MI5
  • 144081 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've said I want to leave O2 but seeing as it's a brand new contract I can't afford to pay it off

If you can prove that you are not using data that much, push it with complaints and they may allow you to hand the phone back and leave for free.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 28

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Go through the complaints link. That's the first step if you are trying to leave without penalty. However if it's Refresh you will have to pay off the handset anyway.

See what the biggest source of data use is in the phone settings.

Message 7 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had formal investigations which have come back just saying I'm using my data up. With patronising guidance on data usage which is infuriating. I will wait another month maybe because I've installed Onavo Extend which the helpline suggested and maybe then I can prove I havent used up data within milliseconds..obviously

Message 8 of 28

MI5
  • 144081 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Keep screen shots of your data usage on phone on a daily basis including all app usage as evidence.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 28

Anonymous
Not applicable

The "formal investigations" only confirm if the data is in fact being used by you mobile number, but that we already know. when u went to settings before what showed regarding the data consumption?If it's one particular thing doing this, it will stand out...

Message 10 of 28