cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad, contract SIM

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please could someone let me know how it works,

So I'm going away for 2 weeks to Hong Kong etc, I am taking my iPhone 6 with me but I will be taking the SIM card out as I have to use a HK SIM card....

Will I still get charged?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks for that great info @jonsie  I had never heard of it so something else new I have learnt today

Great also that you have included pictures (every picture tells a story) Smiley Very Happy

PS.. you may have seen I have gone back and edited the typos/spelling mistakes on my original post.

(Note to self......put damn spellcheck on... and stop being so cocky) LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 25

cyrillicguy
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Roaming on O2 in Asia is particularly shocking and the first thing I do is take the O2 sim out of the phone and replace it with a local sim card. A combination of TuGo on the phone and MightyText on the tablet allows me to keep in touch with family & friends using my allowances.

O2 really should come up with a roaming package for non-European travel. £1.50 per minute to make or receive calls and 49p to send a text is ridiculous in these times and to compound matters O2 charge perpart minute. If I call someone and the call lasts 2 seconds, the charge is still £1.50.

Do O2 not realise that they would generate more profit by encouraging people to stick with their network when overseas if they came up with a travel package rather than relying on the unsuspecting people coming home to bill shock? They will say it's the charges they have to pay foreign networks but those costs bear no comparison to the charges that O2 impose.

There's no way you can justify the prices where a 100 min. conversation (incoming or outgoing calls) abroad costs you as much as a mid-range smartphone slight_smile EE contract customers can buy roaming call bundles, which bring their roaming calls costs down to about 17p/min (incoming or outgoing). I personally carry a Mobile by Sainsburys sim. They charge no more than £0.07/min for incoming roaming calls no matter which country you are in (some destinations are 5p, some even 0). People who might need to get in touch with me as the matter of urgency, will know that they can try to get me on that number as well as on my O2 one, so I'm never out of reach and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Message 22 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well thanks for all the input people, 

I will just try and use as much WIFI as I can and try my best to not accidently let it slip out of airplane mode! 

Fingers crossed... Cheers

Message 23 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for this valuable information guys.  Everyone is welcome to post their impressions here or better on a new thread, this would be really helpful for the team to come up with any potential future improvements.

Looking forward to hearing your experience @Anonymous after your trip. When are you going?

Message 24 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous I am flying on Monday!
Message 25 of 25