cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault diagnosis guide for the iPhone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To summarise:

1. Consumer iPhone 5 Refurbs supplied before 14 March 2014, only came with a 3 month warranty.

2. If it's been replaced by O2 Insure in the last 14 days, O2 Insure would deal.

3. If under 14 days old, replacement is arranged by the shop (point of sale).

4. Repairs can be arranged by O2 shop, Apple shop (customer needs appointment with Mac Genius first), or CPW shop.

5. Resetting network settings includes reset of APN's. If using a Pay & Go SIM (or a non-iPhone tariff), settings will need to be changed manually afterwards.

6. Find My iPhone needs to be switched off before the customer returns the phone. We can’t process repair with this switched on.

Is my iPhone faulty?

If your iPhone will not switch on at all, firstly try holding down the power button and the home button at the same time until the Apple symbol appears. If the phone does not react then you will need to try a forced restore through iTunes.

If after a forced restore the phone still does not work and the phone is under 12 months old and bought directly from O2 this can be repaired under the warranty. Consumer iPhone 5 Refurbs supplied before 14 March 2014, only came with a 3 month warranty. Take the phone to an O2 or Apple (or CPW) store or chat to us.

If it's been replaced by O2 Insure in the last 14 days, O2 Insure would deal
If under 14 days old, replacement is arranged by POS

If your iPhone is experiencing other issues and will switch on, please follow the below steps:

1: Test your SIM card in another handset.

2: If it works in another handset then check you have got the latest software installed on the phone. You can check this by going to Settings/General /Software Update. A video showing how to do this can be seen below.

3: If you have the latest software installed, try resetting the phone by pressing and holding the power button and the home button at the same time, until you see the Apple logo.

4: If there is still no change then go to Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. Doing this step will remove any stored wifi networks that you have stored previously on your iPhone. If you have a non iPhone tariff or are using a Pay & Go SIM, the mobile web / MMS settings will need to be entered after resetting the network settings. A video showing how to Reset Network Settings can be seen below.

5: If the fault still occurs after the reset then back up the phone and do a full restore. You can do this via iCloud or iTunes.

A breakdown of the details, steps and information from the above link can be seen below:

Should I back up with iCloud or iTunes?

iTunes Backup is best for you if:

You frequently use the computer that hosts your iTunes Backups.

You don't have an iCloud account or don't want to use iCloud.

The photos and videos saved in your device’s Camera Roll exceed 1 GB in size, or you have very large backups.

You want on-site and networked backups.

You would like a manual or secondary backup solution to use together with iCloud Backup.

Keep in mind that iTunes Backup doesn't create a duplicate back up of your movies, music, podcasts, and apps. When you back up, your media content is synced from your primary computer via iTunes.

Should I back up with iCloud?

When is iCloud Backup the best choice for me?

iCloud Backup provides an easy and reliable backup solution if you want to back up your iPhone wirelessly and automatically without tethering to a computer.

iCloud Backup is best for you if:

You prefer that iCloud take care of backups for you automatically when you connect your device to Wi-Fi and power.

You want to restore data to your device from almost anywhere via a broadband Wi-Fi connection.

You don’t connect your iPhone to a Mac or PC very frequently.

You don’t own a Mac or PC.

You want an automatic backup solution to use together with iTunes Backup.

Your iPhone backup includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn't include data already stored in iCloud. 

For example:
Bookmarks
Contacts
Calendars
Documents you save in iCloud using iOS apps and Mac apps
Mail messages
Notes
Shared photo streams and My Photo Stream.

iCloud Backup doesn't back up music, movies, and TV shows that you didn't purchase from the iTunes Store, or any podcasts, audio books, or photos that you originally synced from your computer. iCloud Backup will restore your purchased music, movie, and app content from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store during the background restore process. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they're no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.

Back up to iCloud:

If you're using iCloud, it can automatically back up your data if you've chosen this option, by following these steps:

Tap Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup. Turn on iCloud Backup if it's off.
Tap Back Up Now (Has shown in the below screenshot)

original.png

Restore from an iCloud backup:

If you have a new iPhone, or if you need to restore your iPhone to resolve an issue, follow these steps.
Follow the initial steps in the iOS Setup Assistant (select your language, and so on).
Select Restore from iCloud Backup when the assistant asks you to set up your iPhone.

original-2.png

Select the backup you created earlier:

original-3.png

You can restore a backup only by using the iOS Setup Assistant:

If you've already set up your device, you can erase all current content to go through the iOS Setup Assistant again. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Do this only if you already have a backup, because this step will remove all current content from your device.

Using iTunes:
You can use iTunes to back up and restore your content on your iPhone.

Back up:
To back up the content on your iOS device, follow these steps:

Make sure your computer has the latest version of iTunes.
Connect your iPhone to your computer.

Choose File > Devices > Back up. 

If you're using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click the device from the list and choose Backup Now.
You can also back up by syncing your iOS device with your computer. When you use iTunes to sync, backing up is the first step.

Restore from a backup:
If you have a new iPhone, or if you need to restore your device to resolve an issue, follow these steps:

Connect your iPhone to the computer that has your backup.

Make sure this computer has the latest version of iTunes.

Choose File > Devices > Restore from Back up. 

If you're using iTunes 10.7 or earlier, right-click the device from the list and choose Restore from Backup.

If you have iOS7 and ‘Find My iPhone’ is switched on, it’s essential this is turned off before returning the handset. A repair isn’t possible with this security feature switched on. To turn this off:

1. Click Settings
2. Click iCloud
3. Turn off Find My iPhone
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Brilliant guide @Anonymous 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous  Can I ask  question?

I have a family member with an iPhone 5s. Its 8 months old. She hasn't dropped it but it has developed a fault

Suddenly screen went black...eventually got the phone back on but had a line down the middle of the screen and now only one half of the screen works...

It has been reset but the problem still exists?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would make an apple Genius Bar appointment @Cleoriff as they may just swap it out.

Sounds like a hardware issue.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 can this be added to the general guides ?
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous  Can I ask  question?

I have a family member with an iPhone 5s. Its 8 months old. She hasn't dropped it but it has developed a fault

Suddenly screen went black...eventually got the phone back on but had a line down the middle of the screen and now only one half of the screen works...

It has been reset but the problem still exists?

It very much sounds like a hardware issue.

If you live near an Apple Store, I would make a Genius Bar appointment, chances are they will just replace your iPhone. You can book a Genius Bar appointment via the below link. You just need to enter a bit of info and also choose the Apple Store your wanting to book the appointment at.

Genius Bar reservation/appointment

Just make sure you take a backup of your iPhone before you go. This way, when you get the iPhone replaced, you can simply restore the backup onto your new iPhone slight_smile

See my instructions on how to backup your iPhone in the first post on this thread.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing work @Anonymous Fantastic

Message 7 of 16

browni
Level 21: Regular
  • 2241 Posts
  • 35 Topics
  • 10 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Amazing work @Anonymous Fantastic

It is indeed.

Guides such as these should be Stickied and locked (with a little addition to suggest creating a new thread for any related problems.

#siwy
Message 8 of 16

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 9 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousThank you so much for that information. Her nearest Genius Bar is in Birmingham so she will need to make the trip!

I will make sure she has all the information you have provided and lets hope she gets it sorted.

Again many thanks.

Also agree with BoBs request that this guide is included in the section of Help guides collated by @MI5 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 16