cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake o2 calls

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had missed calls almost every day this week from the number 01612 776640. I finally answered it today and it was someone claiming to be from o2, but I'm pretty certain it's a scam - they asked questions about my how much I spend per month and said they can offer me a cheaper deal. The girl was really pushy and when I said I wasn't interested she hung up.

Anyone else had these calls?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
actually they can, convergys based between manchester and belfast can in fact offer refresh, and no i don't work for them however i used to while ago.
Message 21 of 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Agreed, you will have an o2 contract but you are going through a third party who can't offer you the same deals as o2. Not a scam as such and they may well be o2 trained as you say. But really, what can they offer that o2 cannot. These people are sales people, their training is completely different to o2 sales people. They have families to feed, human nature takes over and stretching the truth knows no boundaries.

My advice was, is, and always will be...go direct.

Message 22 of 30

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Cold callers, be they 'trusted partners' or not, are a scourge in my book. It's completely unnecessary for someone trained in high pressure selling techniques to cold call me to try to sell me something I don't want or need. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 23 of 30

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
actually they can, convergys based between manchester and belfast can in fact offer refresh, and no i don't work for them however i used to while ago.

Thought there was a link. Bottom line is you are not dealing with O2. Not a scam but trusted partners are anything but. Search Aerial for instance....

Message 24 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
and as for strecthing the truth, those call centres have strict rules regarding mis-selling. if caught you lose all comission and repeat offences land you with a p45 slight_smile
Message 25 of 30

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
and as for strecthing the truth, those call centres have strict rules regarding mis-selling. if caught you lose all comission and repeat offences land you with a p45 slight_smile

If that's the case aerial would have a terrific churn of staff....

Message 26 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice everyone.

o2 or not, cold calls are always annoying and unwanted! Needless to say I've blocked the number.

I'd suggest doing the same if you get calls from them and obviously don't hand over any details, as others have said just go direct to o2! slight_smile

Message 27 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good for you @Anonymous. Regardless of the opinion of someone who worked for the company ....we always advise avoiding signing up to a 2 year contract with anyone from a cold call. Generally these people do NOT have your best interests at heart..... (I am speaking from personal experience here)...therefore it's 'once bitten twice shy' as the saying goes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 30

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Blocking the number is the best option, I've found marketing options tend not to work especially when trusted partners have sold your details to the world and it's brother.

Message 29 of 30

Joey-Joeface
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Had a call from someone claiming to be from a company who were offering cheaper rates on O2s behalf.

I was suspicious right away as (1) they were asian (2) they were calling from a mobile number and (3) they didn't know my name. I said o2 don't call from mobiles or do unsolicited calls, he kept saying "so you don't want to make big savings?".  I also said O2 would not have passed my number to a 3rd party as I did not opt into such and thus it would breach GDPR, he had no clue what i was talking about and kept asking "how you know this?".

I called him a dirty scammer and hung up.

Message 30 of 30