cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account problems

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the last 2 days, I haven't been able to access my o2 email account from my iPhone. It's been working fine until then but now I'm getting "Cannot get mail - your username or password is incorrect". Only thing is, I haven't changed any settings!

Only two things I can think of.

1. I changed to a new phone 3 weeks ago. I set up my o2 email account on it and it was working until 4th May.

2. For the last few weeks, even on my laptop, I've been getting occasional error messages when sending o2 email: "Too much traffic from this sender".

Can anyone shed any light? I have a gmail account I can use but this is driving me mad as most people communicate with me through my o2 account and their email service seems to be getting progressively worse.
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly, let me say thank you to all who have responded in any way to my post. I am seriously very grateful to any folks who monitor forums like this and assist others with answers.

Secondly, I appear to have caused slight frustration to some of you because it seems I am unaware that o2.co.uk was due to be terminated. Whilst I accept that, yes, 3 years' notice should be enough for anyone, I was genuinely NOT made aware that this was happening -- certainly not from Sky who took over my administration some considerable time ago. So I apologise to those of you who thought I was being lazy -- that was not the case, and I am pretty annoyed that Sky could not even communicate this closure to me.

As it happens, I have a gmail account I can use from now on. My only concern, though, is the usual one: not so much friends and acquaintances, but which organisations have a note of my o2.co.uk address and how much pain am I going to face when I log into various websites and apps over the coming months, only to find that authentications and other processes don't work any more because my old email address registrations are no longer recognised. But that's my problem....!

Again, thanks all.

Message 11 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I fairness to yourself @Anonymous those customers who migrated to Sky didn't have this issue 3 years ago.They could still use o2 webmail. I think we were told back in March of this year that O2 were closing webmail for good on June 7th. We understood they would be informing all customers who still used it...

This was the info we were given on this forum on the 8th March..

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/O2-Webmail-is-closing-More-info-inside/m-p/955180/highlight/true#M15150

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

All your sign ins with other websites etc will still work the same so it shouldn't be a problem. Just change sign in details after you sign in with your O2 details.

Message 13 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I d have a gmail account, I'll check it later. I didn't realise that I would lose all the contacts in Outlook for the o2 account though. My fault slight_smile

what at I should say for clarification is that I use Microsoft Outlook/Office for any email accounts rather than a web based email service. My contacts have all gone from the Microsoft Outlook and are only showing any that I've put in my BT address book. Lots of fiddling about to do methinks. 

As the other user says further up the page, many thanks for all the info and advice. You are all extremely helpful. 

I was was one of those who migrated (unfortunately) to Sky, so only got the email from o2 in March. For info Sky was appalling, so have now gone to BT. Nothing compares to the o2 Broadband though in my opinion. 

Message 14 of 20

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It would have been reasonable to expect Sky to have notified customers too, but then again, this is Sky we're talking about!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 20

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's always better to go with a dedicated email provider to be honest. O2, Sky, Virginmedia have all changed format, going through Yahoo or Gmail. Nokia just discontinued Ovi before being taken over by Microsoft. As for Apple and their .me accounts....

Message 16 of 20

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I've sent you a PM so please get back to me when you can. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 17 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just been informed that I now have no email account as my account has been phased out. I have had this account for over a decade and use it for everything to log on such as bank, paypal etc etc.  How will I be able to change my email address when they will send a confirmation to o2 which I can't see? On top of that my holiday emails are in my o2 folder such as boarding passes etc! 

I didn't hear about the shut down of emails until today for some reason

Even on here it says to tick a box for email notification which i won't see

This is diabolical 

Message 18 of 20

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Strange that you have missed all the warnings and notices for the last 3 years.
You can try pulling your old o2 email address into gmail - I guess that's your only hope now.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 20

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 As mentioned in this thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Apple-iOS-Devices-iPhone-iPad/webmail/m-p/629998#M118756 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 20 of 20