O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Topics: 257
Kudos: 1,259
Ideas: 2
Solutions: 1,093

Re: please don't give up though if you have a case....

@mi5 it is in the apple link in the small print point 2

In most EU member states, consumers may only claim consumer law rights against the seller from whom they purchased the product. There are some exceptions, including Finland, France and Sweden. Please contact your local European Consumer Centre for details of the position in your country. Consumers who purchased Apple-branded or non-Apple-branded products at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store may claim against Apple.

iPhone 6s 64gb on 4g 30gb tariff
iPad Air 2 wifi-4g 64gb refresh
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Fringe outdoor 4g now part of the 91% coverage outdoor)
Topics: 377
Solutions: 4,933

Re: please don't give up though if you have a case....

Clear as mud Smiley Happy
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion.

Currently using:
Xperia Z5

nil desperandum

Level 1: Joiner

Re: EU laws & the sale of goods act......

Hi Matt

is it reasonable to expect a phone to last 2 years? O2 offer the phone on a separate finance scheme for 2 years, which would suggest the phone would be expected to last 2 years as a minimum. My phone has developed a fault with the screen, it becomes totally unresponsive renderering it useless as I cannot even answer calls. It is just out of the 1 year warranty, Apple looked at it and have said it needs to be replaced. O2 have sent it to be looked at again and said that any repair will need to be paid for and they do not have to abide by consumer law. My argument was that the unit has become unfit for purpose due to a manufacturing fault as documented by the manufacturer when they inspected it, therefore it should be repaired or replaced under the SOGA. 

Is it just down to interpretation?

Topics: 377
Solutions: 4,933

You would be better advised by trading standards - non of us are experts in that field on here.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion.

Currently using:
Xperia Z5

nil desperandum

Topics: 421
Solutions: 2,604

This is all a bit of a minefield regarding SOG act energy European law and no one on here can confidently advise you.

O2 and European law.....

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/eu-directive-1999-44-ec

One of the biggest arguments against buying an overpriced brand with a limited warranty.

Topics: 95
Kudos: 101
Solutions: 24

The warranty is offered by apple, not o2.

As for SOGA this is very subjective and can be argued either way. But one thing is for sure, yoi will have to make some noise before O2 will take notice.

As for apple, if they had any faith in their product, they would offer 2 years warranty like everyone else.

Curr946, a proud #WinPhan
Level 1: Joiner

Re: EU Law 2 Year Manufacturers Warranty

Apple are pretty transparent when it comes to warranty (1 year) and consumer law.

If you purchase direct from Apple and report an in warranty issue within 2 years they will perform an in warranty repair or replacement.

They will also honor this up to 6 years but only if reported within the initial 2 years.

Every customer has the right to report a fault or error to the place of purchas within 2 years. It is then subject to the individual companies to honor the consumer law rights.
Topics: 95
Kudos: 101
Solutions: 24

Jsmith8707 wrote:
Apple are pretty transparent when it comes to warranty (1 year) and consumer law.

If you purchase direct from Apple and report an in warranty issue within 2 years they will perform an in warranty repair or replacement.

They will also honor this up to 6 years but only if reported within the initial 2 years.

yeah... Very clear

Spoiler
Thoughful

Curr946, a proud #WinPhan

Customers on here will tell you that Apple are anything but transparent when taking a phone for repair just out of the warranty period no matter where it was purchased. Why should it make a difference buying from Apple directly or via an approved or authorised retailer......???