cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty unlocking iPhone 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I have recently purchased a used iPhone 4 from a friend who had it on Orange.  I wanted to use it with my O2 account (I currently have an HTC One X on O2).  My friend paid Orange to unlock it and 56 days(!) later, they emailed her instructions on how to unlock the phone. This involves sticking a non Orange 3G SIM into it and connecting it to iTunes.  Once that is done, they ask you to push the restore button in iTunes.  However, the message I am getting starts along the lines of "The SIM car inserted into this iphone does not appear to be supported".  Therefore, I cannot push the restore button.  Has anyone else ever experienced this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Leave the settings alone until you get the iphone unlocked. Then change the data to iphone and reset the network settings, that should sort it for you. If you change the settings now in the HTC you will probably get connection problems.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Only Orange can help you with this, we see so many problems on here and you need to get back to them realy.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I'll ask my friend to contact them (yet) again, then. I didn't know whether or not it was something I was doing wrong. Assuming the iPhone was unlocked, would my micro SIM from my O2 HTC One X work in the iPhone 4?
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Smiley Indifferent

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you (I think LOL). Does this mean it changes the APN settings on the SIM or the phone, i.e. can I set up for iPhone data whilst the SIM is still in the HTC or can this only be done from the iPhone that I cannot get to work? (if that makes any sense at all).
Message 6 of 11

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Leave the settings alone until you get the iphone unlocked. Then change the data to iphone and reset the network settings, that should sort it for you. If you change the settings now in the HTC you will probably get connection problems.

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2.. I have requested my phone to be unblocked > 2 weeks ago now and to say the least, you have been difficult.  I have submitted a form three times and have also called up three times.  Your staff have said it will take < 1 week to unblock but obviously this has not been the case. Why do you guys make things like this so difficult?  It's amazing how helpful companies like you are in helping to do things related to O2 but then make it near impossible to leave, unblock an O2 phone etc - especially when I have now had my phone > 26 months.  I dont understand how difficult it can be to unlock your phone when you are meant to give out PAC codes etc < 2 hours.  Very disappointed with your service to say the least. 

Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and Welcome to the Community Forum,

As this is a customer to a customer forum you most likely will not get an official reply.

Unlocking usually takes 72 hours http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

Are O2 saying if their is any issues with your unlocking request ?

Have you used the phone recently to make sure it's imei code is still latched to your account. If not make some chargeable calls and try the form again.

However if you PM @Toby who is site staff he may be able to assist.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/60444

Edit ; I would also try inserting another Networks Sim Card , preferably not one that works on a Virtual Network, and hook it up to iTunes just to see if you get the Unlocked Message. Won't harm to try. slight_smile
Message 10 of 11