cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to use my satellite navigation system on my iPhone while in the USA how much will this cost me
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nix62 And Welcome to the Community Forum.

If your going to use your phone connected to data in the United States ,then it could be expensive.

Link : http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub

Standard Rates

Our Pay Monthly customers will be charged at the following rate when calling or texting from this country.

Making a local call to landlines or mobiles will always be the same price as calling home when you're abroad.

Sending a picture message costs 25p and it's always free to receive a text.

When in: Calling:

Making calls - per minute £1.10
Receiving calls - per minute 90p
Sending texts - per message 40p
Cost per MB of using data:
Data usage £6*

However their are some SatNav Apps where you can Pre Download the maps, and then use them off line.

Be sure to turn off 'Mobile Data' in your phones settings while your abroad to stop your phone connecting to the local network, and try to use free WiFi.

Also turn off O2 Voicemail before leaving the Uk by dialling 1760.

Another alternative if you plan ahead is having your phone unlocked so any network SIM card works in it via https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form ,which is free for Contract Customers or £15 T&C Apply for Payg Customers ,and use a Local Sim Card.

I personally don't use Car SatNavs so I'm not sure if you could download maps into one of those ,and take one of those instead of using your phone.

Enjoy your trip. slight_smile

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Nix62 And Welcome to the Community Forum.

If your going to use your phone connected to data in the United States ,then it could be expensive.

Link : http://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub

Standard Rates

Our Pay Monthly customers will be charged at the following rate when calling or texting from this country.

Making a local call to landlines or mobiles will always be the same price as calling home when you're abroad.

Sending a picture message costs 25p and it's always free to receive a text.

When in: Calling:

Making calls - per minute £1.10
Receiving calls - per minute 90p
Sending texts - per message 40p
Cost per MB of using data:
Data usage £6*

However their are some SatNav Apps where you can Pre Download the maps, and then use them off line.

Be sure to turn off 'Mobile Data' in your phones settings while your abroad to stop your phone connecting to the local network, and try to use free WiFi.

Also turn off O2 Voicemail before leaving the Uk by dialling 1760.

Another alternative if you plan ahead is having your phone unlocked so any network SIM card works in it via https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form ,which is free for Contract Customers or £15 T&C Apply for Payg Customers ,and use a Local Sim Card.

I personally don't use Car SatNavs so I'm not sure if you could download maps into one of those ,and take one of those instead of using your phone.

Enjoy your trip. slight_smile
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you use data for Sat-Nav in the US you will run up a huge bill. You can download an app called NavFree from the app store, which, as the name of the app suggests, is free. The maps download to your phone's memory, and you only need GPS turned on to use it. You can use WiFi using Google search to get a specific address and save it to the app. It's a little glitchy at times, and I now use a different app for maps on my Android phone, but it's not available for iPhones, so NavFree is your only choice, unless you can do the same with Apple maps. 

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-gps-usa-+-street-view/id405922167?mt=8

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 5

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

The cheapest option would be to unlock your iphone and either use a local sim while in the US or pick up a pay as you go sim for the 3 network. The USA is covered by their Feel At Home roaming tariff which lets you use your UK allowances in selected countries and also allows you to receive calls and texts for free. So you would just buy an allowance that included minutes, texts and data and then use it while abroad. You could set your O2 number to divert to the 3 number while abroad so any calls made to your usual number would get routed to you. This would use your O2 minutes for the divert however on an unlimited minutes tariff you wouldn't notice any useage

Alternatively you could use one of the offline satellite navigation apps mentioned above although you would still have to be careful of your usage as the roaming rates are far from cheap if you accidentally used data or even for calls/texts

Message 5 of 5