cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data finished

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 1 GB and when I was on my old phone I usually used none of it or just teeny amount as only looked online when at home or at family and so signed into their wifi. I've been doing same except for last Saturday when I was on train journey for 3 hours but I was logged onto Free wifi via Scotrail. Anyway tonight I was out walking the dog and listening to some music via my amazon app, it's music I swapped from old phone and bought a couple of albums recently that were zipped to this phone, and I got a text to say I had used 80%of my data then song and a half later it pinged again to say I had none left. So my question is, does it use up data when listening to my music? 

Just looked at phone, I'd put it on aeroplane mode as I was worried I was doing something wrong and somehow running data without knowing it and there are 2 messages on screen saying;

Amazon Music. Your downloads have been paused. Open Amazon Music to resume downloading. No idea what it means as not bought any albums since the 2 last week and they were sent then.

I know it's something I'm doing wrong but no idea what it is, any help will be as much appreciated as other time I was on here greeting. Smiley Embarassed

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like listening to music on my phone but as the iphone doesn't have a radio (and one I downloaded was rubbish so deleted it.) I still use my samsung when out and about and switch between radio and my music so I could live without using the music on iphone. Although I'd miss listening to the new purchases over the 2 year contract.

Then again of you saw my albums you'd probably think silence was truly golden! Horrified

Message 21 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

If on the newer iOS firmware you can go to Settings , Mobile/Cellular , and look at the apps at the bottom they will show what app is using what data.
Message 22 of 54

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
To be 100% safe, when you are out and about and away from wifi, turn off the mobile data setting on your phone.
This will 100% ensure that you are not using any data whilst listening to your music.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

Band of brothers, looking at all the apps on cellular and it says Amazon music 682MB, app store is 784KB face time is 374 kb and ibooks 372kb, I included the latter 3 as I never use them so not sure what data it is they use. All the slide buttons are open, showing green, beside them but not Amazon as I turned the data button off last night. 

Should I just try to delete the Amazon Music?

Message 24 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5, how do I turn off mobile data on my phone? I think that's what I've turned off on Amazon Music but is there a way to turn it off for everything? 

I'm heading out now but just leaving phone turned off and at home, big feartie that I am!

Message 25 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Settings , Mobile , toggle off mobile data.
Message 26 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You have to reset the statistics every time your O2 allowances refresh to give an accurate reading of what's using what.

It's in blue writing at the very bottom.

If it's toggled off then your phone won't allow that app to use mobile data.
Message 27 of 54

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

MI5, how do I turn off mobile data on my phone? I think that's what I've turned off on Amazon Music but is there a way to turn it off for everything? 

I'm heading out now but just leaving phone turned off and at home, big feartie that I am!

Settings >Mobile >and slide the data toggle to the off position.

It does appear that Amazon music is using all your data up so you must have been streaming rather than playing from a downloaded track.

Turning data off will prevent this though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

Perhaps leave just Amazon turned off regarding cellular data and only open it when you want to.

All the music is downloaded to your phone as we proved last night so all should be ok to listening to that on the move.

The other data figures are completely normal, as we discussed last night some apps update in the background and are 99% not an issue.

Edited: So as not to repeat information already given.

Message 29 of 54

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Defeats the object of a smart phone when on the move. Personally I would either get rid of Amazon music or find the correct settings for it.

Message 30 of 54