Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging iPhone

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
How long would you leave an iphone on charge?

I know some people either wait until the phone turns itself off to charge or they wait until the battery gets to below 5%.

I've found my iPhone to be a bit random with the charges.

Sometimes it only takes 3 hours to get to 100% but I've heard that you should leave it on charge longer to maximise it. With a full charge I normally get about 2 days standby, but obviously if I don't fully charge it then I get less usage out of it (meaning I unplug it as soon as it gets to 100%).
Message 1 of 31
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

I know some people either wait until the phone turns itself off to charge or they wait until the battery gets to below 5%.

Sometimes it only takes 3 hours to get to 100% but I've heard that you should leave it on charge longer to maximise it. With a full charge I normally get about 2 days standby, but obviously if I don't fully charge it then I get less usage out of it (meaning I unplug it as soon as it gets to 100%).

I charge mine overnight.

I tend to charge my iPhone when it gets somewhere near 20%, but you can basically charge it up as and when you want to. I tend to charge it at around the 20% level as I can use 20% of my battery in a days use sometime. 

Also, once a month I let my battery run down until the iPhone switches off. This calibrates the battery and is something that's recommended by Apple.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I charge my iPhone 5s overnight.

As far as im aware it fast charges and then turns to trickle when the % hits a certain figure.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Whats talked about is battery callibration.

Ie : Letting the iPhone battery exhaust to either 10% or it turning off before re charging. 

"Periodically draining and recharging the battery keeps the flow of ions moving in the battery. The material properties of lithium-ion batteries require constant usage to maintain peak performance. For this reason, Apple recommends discharging and recharging the battery once a month."

Message 2 of 31

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
I'm always wary about charging phones overnight incase it overheats.

What's the general time that it should need to fully charge?
Message 3 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Official Apple advice here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1476
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:
I'm always wary about charging phones overnight incase it overheats.

What's the general time that it should need to fully charge?

That's simple maths.

The 5s has a 1560 mAh battery, so with a 1amp charger it will take 1.56 hours from empty to full charge.

(1560 / 1000 = 1.56 hours)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

And here http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Dont be worried about charging overnight.

Message 6 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

I charge mine overnight.

I tend to charge my iPhone when it gets somewhere near 20%, but you can basically charge it up as and when you want to. I tend to charge it at around the 20% level as I can use 20% of my battery in a days use sometime. 

Also, once a month I let my battery run down until the iPhone switches off. This calibrates the battery and is something that's recommended by Apple.

Message 7 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not an iphone but I always charge my phone overnight I don't worry about overheating most things these days are made to prevent that from happening
Message 8 of 31

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The Iphone controls what happens during charging and not the charger. (same on all smartphones / tablets)

So when the battery is charged it automaticaly stops drawing current from the Charger.

Then after a period of use it will just request more current from the charger.

Leaving it connected over night also stops the wifi sleep issue leading to mobile data usage.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 9 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Leaving it connected over night also stops the wifi sleep issue leading to mobile data usage.

The WiFi radio is designed to sleep by design, its to save battery if the iPhone has been put into Sleep, and is not connected to a power source.

Unless you have some app running (such as a music streaming app and the iPhone is in its Sleep state and the wifi has went into its sleep state to save battery) then the only other thing that would use mobile data is the setting to Automatically Send Diagnostic & Usage Data To Apple. This data is sent around midnight or the early hours of the morning.

But this setting can easily be switched off by going into Settings/General/About, scolling down to the Diagnostic & Usage section, and once in the Diagnostic & Usage section, choose the DON'T SEND option.

Message 10 of 31