cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Character count doesn't work on iphone 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have switched on the character count on my iPhone 5 as I am going abroad and want to keep texts to 160 characters. But it worked only on the first text and now nothing despite turning on and off etc. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas? DD

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93183 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

As far as I'm aware the character count doesn't appear until you reach a second line of the text message ie. after you have input around 25 characters. Have you checked on a longer text message?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

jonsie
  • 93183 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

As far as I'm aware the character count doesn't appear until you reach a second line of the text message ie. after you have input around 25 characters. Have you checked on a longer text message?

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you that's it! I was being too hasty. Quite right it doesn't start until second line. Brilliant, thanks Jonsie

Message 3 of 7

jonsie
  • 93183 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have iPhone 5 with iOS 8.1.3.  I have character count switched on but cannot see any sign of the number of characters I have typed in even after typing three or more lines of text. What am I missing ? 

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27631 Solutions
Try resetting the phone by holding home + power until the apple logo appears.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 7

jonsie
  • 93183 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Are you definitely sending as sms or as imessage? It won't show in imessage and only shows after 25 letters/characters in text messages.

Message 7 of 7