O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 1: Joiner
Danekas

Can you unlock iphone 4 which is not activated.

So my brother got me iphone 4 PAYG from an o2. He took the o2 sim card with himself and sent me the phone to Lithuania. I got the phone, inserted lithuanian sim card and it says the card is not supported, etc... I know my phone is locked, but I think it is not yet activated as I haven't used it with an o2 card.
So can my brother fill in the unlock form, without my iphone being activated? Also, the phone number you need to include in the o2 form, does it have to be the o2 number you bought the phone with, or can it be any other o2 number?
Thank you for a help in advance,
Dan
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 1,018

Re: Can you unlock iphone 4 which is not activated.

no
Iphone has to be activated and made calls in the uk and be in the uk at time of unlock form completion
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
wegras

which is exactly what you were told on the Apple User Forum :womanindifferent:
Please use plain text.
Danekas

I still cant believe im sending my iphone to the uk to get it unlocked. Im off to Nepal in couple weeks for three months and as I can see now I wont be getting my iphone until summer.
Is apple going to release a new version of Iphone in the summer? Any rumors? Might be selling this one then...
Hate o2!
Please use plain text.
adamtemp64
Topics: 222
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 1,018

apple sell them sim free at the apple stores
Sorry but it is not the fault of o2 that you bought a locked o2 iphone.
2 iPhone 5s 32gb on 4g 8gb tariff 1 iPhone 4s 16gb sim only on business contract
iPad 3 wifi-3g 64gb
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (still 2g only and it is 2014)
Please use plain text.
wegras

Frankly your Brother should have done his homework ,it is common knowledge that All UK networks providers stores sell phones locked to their own network if you want an unlocked phone you have to establish who sells unlocked phones
On most , other than the iPhone, Carphone warehouse sell unlocked .In Apple's case it is only their own Retail Stores that sell unlocked iPhones
Not O2 's fault but your's ....why not buy one in your own country
Please use plain text.
Danekas

I don't know if they sell iphones here or they didn't at the time my bro got me one. I travel a lot around the world at least once a month so i need a sim free phone. Always wanted an iphone and thought they were locked, but my friend told me the new ones are unlocked if you buy them in the uk, so my bro got me one... Sad sorry...
Anyways, thank you guys, you were very helpful.
Please use plain text.
Danekas

Just talked to another guy from an o2, he said if I get an o2 sim card in Lithuania from someone and then activate the phone, and then ask my brother in the uk to fill in the form with his own number and 15quid on it, everything will work out, apparently I don't need to be in the uk. I am confused now....
Please use plain text.
Level 2: Apprentice
stakimodels

Just talked to another guy from an o2, he said if I get an o2 sim card in Lithuania from someone and then activate the phone, and then ask my brother in the uk to fill in the form with his own number and 15quid on it, everything will work out, apparently I don't need to be in the uk. I am confused now....

I my self activated iphone 4 on o2 with pay and go in Bulgaria, but for the rest please read here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=57374&hilit=stakimodels
No you do not need to be in UK, but your phone does. Send it to your brother, so that he can do it with his number. I have been trying to unlock from Bulgaria for several days, and i gave up, so i send the phone to UK, through a friend of mine. Hopefully on Monday, latest Tuesday i will have my phone unlocked, and on Wednesday i will have it with me in Bulgaria...
Please use plain text.
wegras

No you do not need to be in UK, but your phone does

Which again is what we have been saying .O2 need to see the IMEI #of the iPhone linked
to the # of a valid Sim being used in the UK on the O2 network doesn't matter who is holding the iPhone
Please use plain text.