cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send texts

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I try to send texts to non iPhones from my iPad they turn red and won't send. They'll send from my iPhone though. I'm sure they used to send but now starting to doubt my memory. Main reason I'm doubting is that it's taken me over 30 minutes trying to find the Apple forum. Still haven't found it so fingers crossed this way will work.
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought phones and iPad joined up somehow

They are joined up but only with other apple products.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Red means they weren't sent & to try again

Hope this helps

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204065
Message 2 of 17

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Is it a 3g/4g ipad or wifi only?
If 3g/4g do you have credit or text allowance?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry I didn't mean the wee red not delivered sign I mean the actual name goes red. it's blue for iMessages, green for non iMessages on my phone and only recently started with some going red on iPad. Not sure what iPad it is. I can only use when I have wifi, I don't pay a monthly fee for it like I do my phone. I only use it to send texts when at home as I like the bigger screen and letter pad.
Message 4 of 17

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I don't think you can send a normal sms to a non iphone/ipad on a wifi only device as you don't have sms capability.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
@MI5 is correct, on wifi you cannot send as you have no sim capability, you need a 3G iPad for that to work
Message 6 of 17

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

You will only be able to send texts to a non-iphone by using an app such as TuGo.

Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You might be getting confused with sending imessages which you can do from your ipad?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. I must have imagined sending them previously from my iPad. Mind you as you've helped with my technical problems before that probably won't surprise you MI5!
I thought phones and iPad joined up somehow but just received a text on my phone from a friend who has a Samsung and it's only showing in my phone and not iPad.
Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can receive messages on an iPad from your iPhone but that's if the recipient & the sender both have iMessage activated
Message 10 of 17