cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I unlock my iphone 5s using someone elses nano sim ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally got the text from O2 telling me I can finish unlocking my iphone 5s by putting in a non-O2 sim card and connecting to iTunes. I don't have any nano sim cards but I know someone with an iphone 6. Can I put their sim card into my iphone and finish the unlock process ?  Or will that delete all their data or match up their account data with my old phone ?   If I can't use someone else's sim card, do I have to buy a new nano sim?

All very confusing. Would appreciate some help from anyone who has done something similar.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, that's it.
No need to do anything else.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

To be honest you are much better just getting another network SIM from a supermarket for 99p our get free ones online for any of the networks.

Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Any non o2 sim will be fine (do not use giffgaff, tesco as they are o2) and nothing will sync from the sim card as long as you are signed into iTunes with your own Apple ID.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks, I'm going to buy a cheap PAYG nano sim (EE).

So that should finish unlocking my iphone. Now what happens when I want to use my iphone with another SIM card (I'm giving my phone to someone else). When they put their SIM into my iphone, will it work (can they just set it up as new?) or do I have to go thru the same process again with iTunes and my laptop ?

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They just put their own son I the phone and set it up as new unless they already have an iPhone in which case they just set it up from a previous back up. All done via iTunes.

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They could also restore it from an iCloud back up if they have one but your old phone and their old phone would need to be on the same firmware version.
Make sure you also reset yours before handing it over.
Settings >General >Reset all data.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just popped the PAYG SIM into my iPhone and connected to iTunes on my laptop.

After a few seconds I got the message "congratulations your iphone has been unlocked"

Is that it ?   I was expecting it to sync and restore settings etc.

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No, that's it.
No need to do anything else.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

great. thanks for all the info.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
No worries mate....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10