O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 2: Apprentice
biggitch

Calls straight to voicemail

Hi there.

I have a 3g iphone and am having some problems. The fault is intermitant but happens on a frequent basis. When people call me the call goes straight to voicemail. If they leave a message it can take up to 2 hrs to come through. Also text message are arriving upto the same period after people send them. Sometimes it can take upto 30 secs to connect a call. I have been speaking to second line support at o2 but they have thus far no answer. I am on my 3rd iphone and second sim card. I am begining to thinkI may not be destined for an iphone. If this continues will they change the handset for a different model ie blackberry?

Cheers guys
Iphone 4 awaiting collection
Please use plain text.
Level 3: Ponderer
camperdown9

Hi

If you have had your iPhone for more than 14 days then I don't think O2 will let you change to another handset.

If you have had 3 iPhones and 2 sim cards it would make me think that there is a good chance that the fault has nothing to do with the phone. Have you been an O2 user before? Just wonder is it something to do with the O2 service in your area or maybe the settings on your account.

If the fault was on the handset it would be really bad luck that you have had three iPhone all with the same fault.

Alex
iPhone 4s black 16gb (O2), iPhone 4s white 16gb (Vodafone)
Please use plain text.
biggitch

I have now been given a checklist of actions to carry out by o2. Fortunatley for me they have tried some test calls and encountered the problems first hand. I would have thought it was a network issue but when i mention that they are very quick to discount it as a possibility. I have been with o2 for about a year now and took the upgrade option on the 2g to go 3g. Never had a problem with them before but this is driving me nuts!!!!
Iphone 4 awaiting collection
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
anteater

What are the checklists?

I'm getting the same problem.

j
Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
tastephan

I've had 3 iphones and 2 sim cards and I'm getting the exact same problem.
Worst phone service I've ever had.
Please use plain text.
jwsmith300

Guys

sorry ive only just seen this

basically Im having the same problem - delayed sms, voicecalls going straight to voicemail despite full signal showing on phone

Had sim replaced, handset replaced - been onto support at o2 - they said its not a problem on their side. When investigating the the delayed sms they say the messages are trying to be delivered but handset is "temporaraly out of network coverage" despite my handset showing full signal
Have been onto apple support for the last month - case has been at tier 2 whole time and now has been passed to Apple United States engineers. Supplied them with logs from my baseband folders but basically no one seems to have a clue what is happening
Please use plain text.
Level 4: Observant
andyhjones

Ok - turn off 3G in the iPhone settings.

Go about your normal use - see if you encounter any problems.

Your iPhone may be showing strong 3G signal when infact it doesn't have any at all, or very weak signal, strange as that may seem.

You can run a signal strength test, but forgotten what the sequence of codes were - there is a thread on here about it, because I made it myself :smileywink:

I switched off the 3G on mine, and it works a treat, it seems O2's 3G network isn't as good as they advertise, im my opinion, of course.
Please use plain text.
jwsmith300

Thanks for the reply

However - 3G is already turned off!! This was one of the first things that the agent suggested!!

Despite this sms delays occur at least once a day
Please use plain text.
andyhjones

Guys
sorry ive only just seen this
basically Im having the same problem - delayed sms, voicecalls going straight to voicemail despite full signal showing on phone
Had sim replaced, handset replaced - been onto support at o2 - they said its not a problem on their side. When investigating the the delayed sms they say the messages are trying to be delivered but handset is "temporaraly out of network coverage" despite my handset showing full signal
Have been onto apple support for the last month - case has been at tier 2 whole time and now has been passed to Apple United States engineers. Supplied them with logs from my baseband folders but basically no one seems to have a clue what is happening

This is all based on your 3G signal; if your not in a great area for it, then i'd just switch it off.

The iPhone will be constantly searching for a 3G signal when it's active, and at points will make your phone "temporaraly out of network coverage" as said in your own post which in turn delays the reciept of text messages, diverts your calls to voicemail, and also prevents you from making calls.

The iPhone will no doubt show its got full 3G signal, when it doesn't.

The iPhone is designed to revert to EDGE or GPRS when it experiences loss of signal, but this will only happen when the iPhone recognises the loss.
Please use plain text.
andyhjones

Thanks for the reply
However - 3G is already turned off!! This was one of the first things that the agent suggested!!
Despite this sms delays occur at least once a day

Have you been offered a replacement?

It would be best, if you are near an Apple store, to let the Genius bar have a look, if they can see the problem first hand, I can't gaurantee it, but I would assume they will replace it - I know a few people who have had this problem and a genius from Apple just replaced the handset with a new one.
Please use plain text.