cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Failed yet Full Signal?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a problem with an iPhone, where you have full signal yet suddenly you can't make or receive phone calls? Read on. (If you want the fix, skip to the end).

I have an iPhone 5s and there are times when I can't seem to make a call, even with full signal.

Slightly frustrating as it’s either to my parents, my local taxi firm, or my girlfriend. Also I will get a call missed notification. Yet I’ve been sitting reading a book, or cooking in a max signal area…I didn’t hear my phone even though it’s on the loudest possible volume, with a ringtone that isn’t exactly discrete. Maybe it is just by chance? Oh wait, now it’s happening more and more! Was it after the last upgrade? Is it my case? Did I accidently drop it from a height of 30cm on to a cushion? The mental pain that this issue brings is an emotion which hasn’t existed before now. It feels like resentment, with hints of infuriating anger that come out of nowhere, and a sudden need to hurt something, yet you feel upset and desperate and lonely. You are only trying to make a phone call with a phone.

So I started testing different things to see if there was logic. This is what I found:

1) It tends to happen around the 'same locations' i.e. certain places at home, work etc.

2) It happens randomly enough to make you think it isn't a big issue.

3) It always shows you have signal.

4) It happens when you are connected to WIFI (especially if those connections have a Portal page).

5) It happens to mobiles more than landlines

6) Despite thinking there is a pattern, there isn't.

7) Apple doesn’t think it is an issue

So then I started researching and found the following fixes:

1) Switch to Airplane Mode for a few seconds.

It works half the time, the other half it results in me smashing the airplane mode button in the slide menu. It will either say you have full signal still, not work and cause anger, or it will show you have no signal. When it does work, the phone will then lure you in to thinking it is a masterpiece when actually all it is, is a hand held games console that doesn’t make calls. Thanks Apple, I would’ve kept my Gameboy is I had wanted this technology.

2) Turn your phone on and off.

Annoying, every time you want to make a PHONE CALL with a PHONE.

It also doesn’t work. The operator will say it reboots your signal…so does Airplane Mode really, doesn’t it?

3) Reset your phone.

Lose “everything” you love and care for (back it up first on iTunes).

“What’s that? You’ve lost “everything” you care for to find the issue remains. Well then, do it again. If it doesn’t work then it must be a bad phone.” LIES. It doesn’t work. It is nice to have that fresh feeling again though. Do this anyway, just to keep your phone feeling sharp.

4) Swap the SIM card.

Yes, you have to wait 24 hours (up to) to fix the issue, but when it works, you’ll find…it doesn’t work.

5) Show Caller ID.

Settings>Phone>Show Caller ID> Turn off and on, or on and off.

Does it work? Well…I don’t know. It seems the feedback is that it isn’t a permanent fix, but it does work when you do it. I remain sceptical. Afterall, this is the height of technology.

6) Repair it.

Go on, wait over a month for it back, and either pay for it, or do it thorugh your operator of your insurances or warranty. You’ll be told there is nothing wrong with it. You will feel like you’re lying, and you’re the only one. Don’t worry, we feel your anger rising up. Just make sure nothing valuable is nearby.

7) Get a new phone.

You only spent £600 on this, so buy a new one. Clearly you can afford it. Just sell this one for £400 to someone who doesn’t know about this issue.

😎 Dial *#31#

What? I can’t seem to find exactly what this is, or why it is meant to work. But a few other sites do seem to think this is a permanent fix. So, if you’ve done steps 1-7 to find this will fix it, then I understand you’re annoyed.

I will test it, and see if it does work. If it does then, excellent. If it doesn’t, then I think I’m going to buy an android.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
http://www.iphoners.com/threads/294/

All you're doing showing whether your number is displayed.

But it must do something else as showing your number wouldn't make any difference to the problem.

More info
My 8 year old thinks "boobies" is funny too wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Yep. Most 8 year olds do.... LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bad news. I've just moved offices, and the last two days the fault is back. It can't be fixed...
Message 23 of 23