cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new iPhone5c unable to sent messages

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey people! So I just bought an iPhone5c 16gb today about 15:00 on O2 for £28 a month. I've put micro sim in and gone through the set up etc and everything works perfectly fine, Internet (4G/ wi-fi), can call people, take calls, use App Store pretty much everything, except for whatever reason I can't send normal SMS messages. Also iMessages work but they send from an email address instead of the number, a number doesn't come up in the 'send & receive' drop box. Looked on a few forums and reset network connections taken sim out, with a few other things, also done a full reset and fine through set up again. Still won't pick up the number in send & receive drop box or send SMS. Tried live chat earlier but failed to find help and they are offline now. Need help on this one, only other thing I've seen is I've got a dodgy SIM card, but still don't understand how everything else is fine? Thanks. C
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
So try

Settings , General , Reset , reset all settings.

From apples forum.

"i figured it out!!! ok so i chenged my phone number and i also switched from a iphone 4s to a 5, what i noticed one day was when i sent a imessage out to someone they recieved them as my email and when i tried selecting my phone number to send out the messages it wouldnt let me, to make the long story short the way to fix this is to go in settings - messages -sent & recieve- it should have two addreses your phone number and email select that you want your phone to start the conversation if it still doesnt let you then, click on Apple ID: and press view account, verify with your password then press "manage apple id" its going to send you into a website sign in, once you are in, press "phone numbers" and add your mobile phone number " your iphones #" once you are done turn off imessage then turn it back on once you are finish it should now give you the option to use your phone number as a imessage starter!! thats it hopefully that helped you guys out"
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another source says

To fix this issue you will have to sign out of iMessage...

1. Go to settings
2. Messages
3. Send and receive
4. Click your apple ID
5. Select sign out

Once you've done this turn your phone off and then on again, go to your iMessage settings and sign in (same way you signed out) and you should now be able to select your number as an option.
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ref sending normal texts.

On your Phone app, go to keypad and type in *#5005*7672# and Call
Message number is displayed.

+447802000332 for Pay Monthly
or
+447802092035 for Pay & Go

Make sure it's the right one for your account type.

If it's still not sending then ring Cs on 202 contract or 4445 payg to have your account checked.
Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Right tried the manage apple I.D one phone number already on the apple account all verified etc, still no number comes up in messages>send&receive box but a number has come up in my FaceTime (that didn't before), it's greyed out in the FaceTime and I can't select the number but it's already ticked. Now I clicked next but it can't sign in. And says please check your network connection and try again. I'm on wifi and cellular 4g is on and does work too.
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also done that and it's the right one
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4268

Look here ; iOS: Understanding Restrictions (parental controls)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4213

If this continues I would suggest making an Apple Genius Bar Appointment here http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are still having trouble sending SMS messags, try turning on the option to Show Subject Field under the SMS/MMS section in the Messages settings and try sending a text mesages with a Subject header that isn't blank.

I had similar problems with a new iPhone 5C but it looks like SMS messages with non-blank subjecf fields get sent okay but messages with a blank subject field (which is presumably the case when View Subject Field is turned off) seem to be rejected by O2's message centre.

Message 17 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144176 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Right tried the manage apple I.D one phone number already on the apple account all verified etc, still no number comes up in messages>send&receive box but a number has come up in my FaceTime (that didn't before), it's greyed out in the FaceTime and I can't select the number but it's already ticked. Now I clicked next but it can't sign in. And says please check your network connection and try again. I'm on wifi and cellular 4g is on and does work too.

Have you rebooted the phone since doing this step?

Are you still having problems ?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 18