cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple upgrade or o2 on us??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

Got a quick question regarding the Apple upgrade program v's O2's upgrade on us program.

I believe with the apple program, at the end of the 12 months you can elect to hand back the phone and start the 20 months agreement again with the new phone.

With the o2 program what happens at the end of 12 months?  you hand back your old phone which pays off the balance remaining for the device.  you get an upgraded phone, but are you on a new 2 year deal or is there just 1 year remaining?

If there is just 1 year remaining then to my mind it makes the o2 deal a steal because you'll effectively be getting next years phone for about half price.  if there is a new 2 year deal then it looks like its pretty similar for the 2 programs cost wise.

The reason i am asking is that i have a 7+ reservered at the covent garden apple store this evening and i'm figuring out whether to cancel the appointment an wait for o2.  (sorry to all those still trying to find one)

All of this is predicated on there being enough stock of the iphone 8 next year of course Smiley Very Happy

Thanks in advance, dazzla

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I understand it, you start a new 2 year contract with O2.

Don't forget the Apple upgrade program includes Apple care as well. 

You pay an upfront fee with Apple, I believe it is £49, then once you have made 11 monthly payments (taking you to 12 payments in total) you are free to hand back the phone for the new model or pay the further 9 payments.

If the monthly payments are about the same, personally I'd go for the Apple program, but the choice is yours! 

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember with O2 you pay more for the handset. For example....

256GB Silver 7 Plus (RRP £919)

O2: £179 up front and then 24x £35 = £1019, so £100 more expensive

Apple: £49 up front and then 20x £49.45 = £1038. BUT, this includes AppleCare+ which is £119. £1038-£119 = £919.

So, you don't pay any extra for the phone, but you have to have the AC+ included. There is a 0% finance option that doesn't include AC+ so it's cheaper, but it's NOT the upgrade program.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fantastic, thanks for the info everyone.

I went for the Apple deal, loving the phone.. Now i need to phone o2 to cancel.
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
you made the right choice, after reading through the T&Cs, that 'Upgrade on us' is a ridiculous con that will end up costing you more, and will be the cause of a lot of frustration and complaining next year when the next iphone comes out
Message 5 of 5