DNACowboy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hey All,

Early Apple adopter here.

Apple Pay

I upgraded to the 2016 SE and in every store I try to use Apple Pay the thumbprint refuses to work, the Apple forums are full of posts and threads about the issue being a hardware fault, however, I can use my passcode, but who wants to use that in a queue of people all waiting with eagle-eyes to visually steal your codes?  

I deleted my thumbprint and then re-added it however, even with the passcode I had to put the phone directly in contact with the reader to get a successful response.

Question: Should I send the phone back or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DNACowboy
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Wow, easy fix!

http://www.imore.com/touch-id-not-working-well-you-heres-how-fix-it

Just add 2 more of the same fingerprint to your 'touch ID' option and blammo, Apple Pay fixed!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and the need to have your device super close to the reader makes perfect sense. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 2 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

on my 6s the phone has to be in very close proximity of the card reader for my thumb / finger print to work

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

That would make sense @adamtemp64 as the distance for NFC to work from your phone to the reader isn't much.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 8

DNACowboy
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Wow, easy fix!

http://www.imore.com/touch-id-not-working-well-you-heres-how-fix-it

Just add 2 more of the same fingerprint to your 'touch ID' option and blammo, Apple Pay fixed!

Thanks everyone for your feedback and the need to have your device super close to the reader makes perfect sense. 

Message 5 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It is always recommended to add the same print at least twice for any fingerprint readers as it makes it more accurate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I only have 1 of each of my fingerprints registered 2 right hand one left hand and even have a full waterproof case on the iPhone and never have an issue with recognition of my fat fingers lol .

Iphone 6s is in a lifeproof case 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DNACowboy wrote:

Hey All,

Early Apple adopter here.

Apple Pay

I upgraded to the 2016 SE and in every store I try to use Apple Pay the thumbprint refuses to work, the Apple forums are full of posts and threads about the issue being a hardware fault, however, I can use my passcode, but who wants to use that in a queue of people all waiting with eagle-eyes to visually steal your codes?  

I deleted my thumbprint and then re-added it however, even with the passcode I had to put the phone directly in contact with the reader to get a successful response.

Question: Should I send the phone back or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

I made this video guide a while back on Touch ID. I've used the method featured in my video since I first got an iPhone with Touch ID and I find it works very well.

You do however need to be almost touching the payment terminal, but this is for security with NFC payments.

Message 8 of 8