Did you mean: 

Appalling iPhone 6 Behaviour....

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
iPhone 6

So just got back from London and have to say I am appalled at how rubbish my iPhone 6 operated, on the O2 Contract network when compared to my wife's iPhone 5 on O2 Pay as You Go.

We were standing outside Ripley's Believe it or Not (just off the Trocadero, central London) and my iPhone 6 just could not get ANY service. The screen showed I had 5 full bars/dots and showed '4G' however, even just trying to open a web page was taking WELL over 5 minutes. I tried several reboots and also a soft reset however nothing fixed this issue. Meanwhile, my wife, inside one of the shops, managed to upload several photos of our day out, to a social media website no problem, whilst me outside, was struggling to even open a SINGLE web page on my SUPPOSEDLY, superior iPhone 6. This was also a recurring issue for me throughout the day in London. At several different locations, my iPhone 6 would show 'No Service' whilst my wife's iPhone 5 would show several bars/dots. I was sick of this - absolutely ridiculous...... Surely, if there is no service, BOTH phones would show NO SERVICE??? There is NO REASON why my iPhone 6 would show No Service and her iPhone 5 would indeed have service????

I am also appealed at the fact that the free O2 wifi, which is offed up town, ALSO, just did not seem to work for me. I have registered SEVERAL times before however every time I tried to select the O2 Free wifi, it kept asking me to register AGAIN????! By this time, I REALLY had lost the patience with my phone AND O2, to re-register AGAIN, so gave up entirely.

I am actually now seriously considering selling my iPhone 6 and buying an iPhone 5S. The price I can sell my 6 for, would pay for a 5 S with money left over. I never had issues like this when I had my iPhone 5?

Plus the fact that some apps on my 6 fail to work properly - WhatsApp continues to fail to notify me for new chat messages despite the fact that I have all appropriate settings turned on plus also, an RSS app continues to fail to background download new stories (again, all appropriate settings are enabled). In both instances, I have contacted the app developers and they can not provide any further help - both putting the issue either the phone or the AppLe servers.

Again- I have NEVER experienced issues like these on my iPhone 5.

Rant over.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Is it worth you getting your phone checked at an Apple store?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Is it worth you getting your phone checked at an Apple store?

I would think that is Dino's only option (unless he launches it :smileywink:)

Seriously though, he has done everything he can...and compared to his wifes iPhone 5 it is behaving badly...

I will give this link, though have no doubt Dino already knows it....

https://getsupport.apple.com/Issues.action

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 33

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Thanks for that link.

May just actually contact Apple and see what they say because this is definitely VERY odd behaviour for my iPhone 6.

If they give me an iPhone 5S as a 'loaner phone' - I may just actually end up keeping that one (like we did when we kept the White 'loaner phone' instead of collecting her black iphone 5 (details were in separate thread about a week ago!).

wink
Message 4 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@DinoF wrote:
Thanks for that link.

May just actually contact Apple and see what they say because this is definitely VERY odd behaviour for my iPhone 6.

If they give me an iPhone 5S as a 'loaner phone' - I may just actually end up keeping that one (like we did when we kept the White 'loaner phone' instead of collecting her black iphone 5 (details were in separate thread about a week ago!).

wink

I remember that thread about the loan phone....:smileywink:

Well, they say Apple after care is good, so this will put them to the test. Your advantage of course. is that you were pretty much standing side by side with your wife with her 'older' phone... and hers behaved impeccably whilst yours was quite useless in comparison....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 33

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Sounds like it's not knocking back to 3g. I swear that's becoming a common thing on here.
Your wife's 5 won't have this problem obviously as it won't ever need to knock back to 3g as it can't get 4g
Message 6 of 33

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Whatever the phone is doing, it's not fit for purpose. Get it checked straight away at Apple.

Message 7 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @DinoF

I also find O2 Wifi is hit and miss on getting connected and then when it is I'm reminded of the old dial up speeds !

I'm assuming your iPhone works ok in your usual areas ?

Some models do hold onto signal better than others but to be honest my iPhone 6+ practically grips signal.

Is the iPhone connected to the Network ok now ?

I hope a diagnostic from an Apple Genius Bar helps but if it is connected now I'm hazarding a guess they'll say it's ok and was down to how your iPhone was dealing with the masts.

Your iPhone will have been attempting to join the 4G part of the network which your wife's will only have settled on 3G. Perhaps an issue with the masts or congestion was apparent at the time , although congestion shouldn't have occurred with 4G and your wife should have been affected. A check on the Service Status may have highlighted something.

I would have turned off 4G in the iPhone's settings to see if the situation improved.

So if your going to visit their regularly then yes I'd be thinking of the same ,but if it's an occasional visit and my phone worked within normal parameters where I normally am then I'd have to have a hard think.

Please let us know how you get on.
Message 8 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Sounds like it's not knocking back to 3g. I swear that's becoming a common thing on here.
Your wife's 5 won't have this problem obviously as it won't ever need to knock back to 3g as it can't get 4g

What a brilliant deduction @viridis  Quite simple really when you think about it....?

Every day's a school day....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 33

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @DinoF

I also find O2 Wifi is hit and miss on getting connected and then when it is I'm reminded of the old dial up speeds !
....glad, I'm not the only one then!!

I'm assuming your iPhone works ok in your usual areas ?
....you see, thats the thing - my iPhone does indeed work normally in the areas that I frequently visit!!  This suggests that there is nothing wrong with it then, I guess?!?!

Some models do hold onto signal better than others but to be honest my iPhone 6+ practically grips signal.

Is the iPhone connected to the Network ok now ?
....yep - working fine now in my home neighbourhood!

I hope a diagnostic from an Apple Genius Bar helps but if it is connected now I'm hazarding a guess they'll say it's ok and was down to how your iPhone was dealing with the masts.
...yea  - thats also the thing! I can see myself taking it to Apple, they run some tests but report back that it is indeed running 100% as it should be, which would then probably leave me even more miffed with it!!! Smiley Frustrated

Your iPhone will have been attempting to join the 4G part of the network which your wife's will only have settled on 3G. Perhaps an issue with the masts or congestion was apparent at the time , although congestion shouldn't have occurred with 4G and your wife should have been affected. A check on the Service Status may have highlighted something.

I would have turned off 4G in the iPhone's settings to see if the situation improved.
....thats the one thing that I actually did not think of doing! Wish I had thought of that!

So if your going to visit their regularly then yes I'd be thinking of the same ,but if it's an occasional visit and my phone worked within normal parameters where I normally am then I'd have to have a hard think.

....another spanner in the works now!! As you rightly point out here - my iPhone 6 does indeed work 99% correctly within normal parametres and the trip to London was indeed a one-off (the 1% where it is not working is them 2 apps I mentioned in my original post) so will have a good think on what to do next.  Think I will just book in an appointment anyway, just to put my mind at ease. Perhaps they may actually pick up on an issue!

Please let us know how you get on.

....thanks for the tips @Anonymous wink

Message 10 of 33