cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G seems to be occur once in a blue moon?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I joined this network in November and I regularly commute between Bedford and London. I sometimes get 4G and however majority of the time I have GPRS, E or 3G. None of which load anything.
I think it is cheeky to be taking money for a service you cant provide! I know London, Milton Keynes and parts of Bedford have 4G connectivity so why is it that I rarely get it? It's annoying being new to London and sometimes when you really need your train line app and your phone is stuck on 3G but can't load a singe thing!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Frustrating and annoying. Is this a problem for everyone on O2 ?

I'm afraud until the O2 rollout is complete there is very little anyone can do. 

What iphone do you have? It may be worth getting the phone and sim checked out. 

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you able To switch the 3G/4G toggle on in your phone as that will find a 4G signal?

Also do you have a 4G enabled SIM card?
Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
For some strange reason train lines and major motorways / trunk roads are very poorly served with mobile signals.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apple7

The official release rom O2 is http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/network-coverage/the-next-big-thing

I would certainly go with the suggestion to get both your SIM card and phone checked out.

Perhaps try the SIM card in another phone as a process of elimination.
Message 5 of 10

PiedPiper
  • 98 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On a recent journey from Norwich to London in the morning I got no 4G at all. It was a new iPhone6 and I wondered if the phone was OK, or I had the wrong sim, and so on. But once I was in South London I had massive 4G all day so I knew the phone was OK. Returning late at night, loads of 4G on the train until we got right out in the sticks. So I wonder if it's a capacity issue, with loads of people trying to connect at peak commute times, but with less pressure on the network at off peak times?

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks everyone! I do have the right sim. It's the iphone 5s.
I think I will get the phone checked just to make sure it isn't me but like piedpiper said, it does connect in London. Just irritating that I used to have no problem.
Thanks Spitfirekendal! I can so I will try that also. Anything is worth a shot right now!
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
To get the phone checked at an Apple Store please do make an appointment first via https://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/
Message 8 of 10

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Of course the best remodeling is to move networks but it's all a matter of logistics.....

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have commented, trying to get a reliable signal can prove problematic during the daily commute, although it seems some networks still manage to cope better than ours. RootMetrics offer some interesting data on mobile performance, in a series of tests carried out from a consumer’s point of view:

“We test mobile internet, call, and text performance indoors, outdoors, and during driving in the 16 most populous Larger Urban Zones (LUZs) across the United Kingdom, as defined by the Eurostat.”

Their website includes up-to-date information about the best performing networks, which is quite useful for anyone who might be considering switching providers.

Message 10 of 10