cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G and 4G not working

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got an iPhone 5S and my contract was eligible for upgrade on the 20th August.  I don't want a new handset yet, I want to wait until the new iPhone comes out - whenever it is - so I downgraded my £37-odd a month contract to a Simplicity Tariff on a rolling 30 day contract so I'm paying a minimum amount in the meantime.

I've had emails and texts on Thursday to confirm that my tariff change has gone ahead, but when I was out this morning, I noticed that although the O2-UK logo is showing and there are 5 white dots, it says 3G instead of 4G and, more to the point, it doesn't work ... when I try to connect to something it says there is no network connectivity.

It'd gotta be something to do with the tariff change, what can I do?

Been trying to get on live chat this morning but it just says "We're just checking to see if there's an available agent" and nothing happens.

Be grateful for any assistance.

Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aah ... postman just delivered a new SIM card ... I'm guessing this could solve the problem!!!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Tyext ACTIVE to 2020 and save the settings. Restart the phone. It might be worth checking you still have idata as your bolt on in My O2.

Message 2 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aah ... postman just delivered a new SIM card ... I'm guessing this could solve the problem!!!

Message 3 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK so I've done the SimSwap online and it went through virtually immediately.  Seems to have worked, and now have working 3G (and the O2 app tells me I have 1.99 of my 2.0gB left wink ).

But I don't have 4G.  At the end of the SimSwap it gave a link to click on to check and set up 4G , I put in my phone number and it texted me a code , but when I put the code in it tells me my phone is a Gold 16gB and it's actually a silver 32gB.   However, whichever of those 2 I select, I am directed to https://www.o2.co.uk/4g/setup/error/500.

Message 4 of 17

jonsie
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You don't need to set up 4G as long as it is enabled in the settings.

You have a 4G sim and a 4G enabled handset so the other criteria you need apart from a 4G tariff is that you are in a 4G area.

Check here : Service Status

Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
It'll work fine on 3G, it's 4G ready so whenever your area gets the 4G upgrade you won't need to do anything
Message 6 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always had 4G on it, think ours was one of the first areas to get it

Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 144318 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
No need to do the 4g set up.
Just re start your phone after checking you have 4g enabled in settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I changed my Samsung for the iPhone 5c and changed my contract from tesco to o2. Took 8 phone calls and a trip to the o2 shop before I spoke to Kim Mangon a patient Yorkshire lass who cleared the account and started a new one. Apparently the activation kept failing but none if the other agents had picked this up. Kim phoned back when she said she would and I still don't know how she calmed me down that day as I was fit to be tied. 

Message 9 of 17

jonsie
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I changed my Samsung for the iPhone 5c and changed my contract from tesco to o2. Took 8 phone calls and a trip to the o2 shop before I spoke to Kim Mangon a patient Yorkshire lass who cleared the account and started a new one. Apparently the activation kept failing but none if the other agents had picked this up. Kim phoned back when she said she would and I still don't know how she calmed me down that day as I was fit to be tied. 

Just what we have been saying on another thread today. Such an obvious problem should have been apparent at the outset but we'll done Kim. Hopefully admin will feed this back so she gets the recognition she deserves. Such a shame that you can't get the same standard of service from all the staff at o2.

Message 10 of 17