cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.1 meg data speed while roaming. Capped?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I'm enjoying a few days in the Isle of Man. However, the speedtest app says I'm getting 0.1 meg on both Sure and Manx Telecom

I suspect the rate is being capped as speedtest starts higher and quickly drops to a steady 0.1. No such problems at home

Anybody know if this is normal or if it can be 'fixed'? If so, how?

Ta!
Message 1 of 19
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
The home network will always take priority over any roaming network, but add to that the fact that O2 roaming speeds are heavily throttled all over EU you don't have a good mix.
You can get by with emails and low level surfing but forget streaming or anything that is data intensive.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Normal - Travel data is heavily throttled to discourage use.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23046 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Using the Speedtest app will also use your data allowance, but if you're having a roaming problem, it's a problem with the Isle of Man networks, not O2.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 19

MI5
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Strangely, every network in Europe has a problem when an O2 customer is roaming on it with "unlimited" data wink

Currently using:
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I popped into the Sure shop and was assured there were no known problems with the network.

But if it's 'normal' then it's not joyous to be paying for it.
Message 5 of 19

MI5
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
The home network will always take priority over any roaming network, but add to that the fact that O2 roaming speeds are heavily throttled all over EU you don't have a good mix.
You can get by with emails and low level surfing but forget streaming or anything that is data intensive.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Remember we are entering holiday season....so expect speeds to be throttled... maybe over the next few weeks?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 144147 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Always.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 19

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote: