cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xperia z poor battery life since kitkat 4.4.2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since updating my xperia z to kitkat 4.4.2 the battery life has dropped dramatically. I'm not using my phone anymore than usual but it's nearly flat by the end of the afternoon. Is this just the fact that the update is more power hungry or could there be another problem lurking?
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's suggested to perform A hard reset after an update.

Clears out old files.

This may help but do a back up first.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's suggested to perform A hard reset after an update.

Clears out old files.

This may help but do a back up first.
Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
To add what I've read is "Battery drains may also happen for a few days after the update, since Android still has to do some synchronization in the background. This will be all resolved when Android is done with the installation and updates."

And

"Google have confirmed that there is a bug affecting Android KitKat (4.4.2) that results in battery life being significantly reduced.

The issue relates to the Camera application, which when opened is using 100 per cent of the CPU's power. The end result is unnecessary battery drain and a significant reduction in battery life.

So far Google have only confirmed that the issue affects the Nexus 5, but earlier this week the HTC One Android KitKit update was halted after users reported poor battery life. And a number of other smartphones have seen their battery life hit since updating to the latest version of KitKat.

The good news is that Google are working on a fix, which could be included in the Android 4.4.3 update. However, we wouldn't be surprised if the update was pushed out as a priority ahead of the release of the next version of KitKat.

Until the update is released you might want to avoid leaving the camera application running to improve battery life. You should also be aware that certain third-party applications (such as Skype) open the camera app automatically."
Message 3 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The camera issue was patched a long time ago so I'd be surprised if Sony didn't include the fix already in your firmware.
Check the battery use in power settings and you may find Google services using a lot of juice. If so just restart the phone as it should help to reset the sync issue that looks like is causing the problem.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just checked on the power management section of my settings and it's showing tht Google play services is using 72% of the power. Is that the general running software for my phone or is that just for Google play. I'm not able to reset it to an earlier version due to it being administrator.
Message 5 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorted. I've just backed up and reset and it's all working fine now.
Message 6 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That usually fixes most post update issues slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

That's awesome.

Glad my suggestion helped. slight_smile
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've noticed the same thing on the Xperia Z Tablet, over the last few days google play services has been draining the battery quite considerably.

For example I charged it over night and unplugged it in the morning and went to work, returning home 10 hours later I noticed the battery was down to 63% of which google play services was responsible for 95% of battery usage.

I checked for information online and allot of people suggested turning off the location services, after doing this I repeated the process again yet the battery drain was still there with google play services being the culprit.

There seem to be allot of people in the last few days complaining in various forums about the same issue.

Thanks for the suggestion @Anonymous  , I will try the hard reset tonight and see if that works.  But it does sound like there is a bug of some kind that needs fixing.

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Since resetting I actually think my battery is lasting longer than before the update.
Message 10 of 13