cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sms to mms

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the situation,

Apparently when you send a basic text message but using 1 of those silly little emotions at the end of it, it changes your sms to a mms. Well unfortunately for me I only discovered that when my monthly bill came in at £93 instead of £40.

Tbh I didn't even know what a mms or sms was till I searched it up colour me technological unadvanced but I thought a text was a text and a media text had mass body like a picture or video not a stupid emotions smiley. What I found out to my disgust was that little smiley face thing costs 33p per message and massed up a total of £53. I had unlimited texts and I thought a mms message meant the other didn't have a andriod phone and it was kinda like an imessage (long time iPhone user)

So is O2 gonna make me pay this extra charge for something I knew nothing of or could do anything about? How about a heads up saying this will send as a mms and charge you money. Or a simply do you want to pay the extra 33p in a pop up...so annoyed. Need to be a rocket sciencest to understand phones nowdays

Message 1 of 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have you tried calling CS on 202 free from your o2 handset?

Please let us know how you get on

Given the circumstance they may agree to meet you half way or something? The worst they can do is say no. ....

I presume that this is the first month it has happened? Perhaps following an update to the operating system to kitkat for example?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the community.

This has been raised several times previously and a search will provide you with the solution.

Which device are you using?

Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh will I, sorry first time using this. I found it hard enough to post nevermind to search.

I'm using the Samsung galaxy s3
Message 3 of 24

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
here is some info from the support pages http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Open messages and go into menu >> settings >> mms alert and tick the box so that you will always know if the message has been converted to mms.

Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Basically there are two ways to send smilys on the Galaxy phones.

1. From your keyboard to the right of the Sym key is a smily face. These WILL be charged as mms as they are little pictures. Crazy I know but that is what happens.

2. When typing a text using the settings key below the smily icon press that and you will get a list come up. One of the options there is insert smily. These are Green and WILL NOT be charged.

No idea why the difference between Green and colour makes a 40p charge but there you have it.

Jonsie has sent a separate message where you can set your device to buzz when an sms converts to mms.
Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apologies that message would have come to you quicker but it took 20 minutes for just one page to open up on this super fast 2g service I have near home.
Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the help and replies slight_smile

If they warn you about it first and I still did it I'd hold my hands up and say well I **bleep**ed up but the fact I had no warning about it and pretty much only found out after I get the bill is annoying. It's too easy for a bill like this to happen without knowledge which O2 probably love more money for them. Only 20 more months and I'm away from this service after 8 years and not 1 bill overdue or missed.
Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Given the circumstance they may agree to meet you half way or something? The worst they can do is say no. ....

I presume that this is the first month it has happened? Perhaps following an update to the operating system to kitkat for example?
Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please let us know how you get on

Message 10 of 24