cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multimedia messages

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't receive multimedia messages on my galaxy s3. Can anybody help?
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
MMS are free to receive and the S3 will automatically turn on data when required to send or receive an MMS. Just make sure you have a good signal (they don't always work on a 2G connection, ironically) and check these 3 lines of your MMS profile carefully:
MMSC - http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMS Proxy - 82.132.254.1
MMS Port - 8080
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and Welcome to the forum.

Have you been able to recieve MMS previously ?

Can you send them ?

Ensure you haven't accidentally added the number of the person sending you the mms to your blocked list. Check both your calling and texting blocked lists.

Link ref blocked lists ;
http://inside-galaxy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/samsung-galaxy-s3-how-to-add-or-remove.html?m=1

To send and recieve MMS you need mobile data turned on in the phones settings ,and a data connection to the O2 Network.

To turn on Data ~ Tap the 'Apps' icon in the bottom right
In the list locate the 'Settings' Icon (if you can’t see it try scrolling left/right)
Tap on Data usage
Slide the switch in the top right to turn on mobile data access.

Ensure you have a data allowance on Payg or you'll be charged £1 per day which is called Web Daily and gives 50mb of data usage.

Are you getting a normal text from O2 instead saying view your contact via a link ?

MMS do not come out of your normal texts allowance so if your on Payg you'll need credit.

These cost typically approx £0.40p for contract and Payg customers.

Here is some self help links

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Android-Devices-Samsung-HTC-Sony/Connecting-Android-Phone-to-Data-Services/m-p/544202#U544202

Check your APN's manually :

http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/o2-apn-settings#Android

And or text ACTIVE to 2020, save the settings and turn your phone off and on.

Finally you may need to ring O2 Customer Service to have your account Provisioned for MMS. Ensure you use that word 'provisioned'

Contract 202
Payg. 4445

Let us know how you get on.
Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
MMS are free to receive and the S3 will automatically turn on data when required to send or receive an MMS. Just make sure you have a good signal (they don't always work on a 2G connection, ironically) and check these 3 lines of your MMS profile carefully:
MMS Proxy - 82.132.254.1
MMS Port - 8080
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
MMS Proxy - 82.132.254.1
MMS Port - 8080

I have an S3 and am going to ask where will I find my MMS Profile? @MI5 

I am sure it will come as no surprise that I have never heard of this...Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's in your apn under settings >more >mobile networks.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well this is confusing as I don't have any problems with MMS (I think)

In my APN I have

Name: O2 Mobile Web

APN :mobile.o2.co.uk

Then everything under that is showing not set ....

MMSC (not set)

MMS proxy (not set)

MMS port (not set)

Oh dear me....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That is normal for a single apn (which I think O2 have moved over to now), you only need MMS settings if you have a separate MMS apn.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
That is normal for a single apn (which I think O2 have moved over to now), you only need MMS settings if you have a separate MMS apn.

I have found something else (which I did NOT look at)

Under APN I have O2 Mobile Web (with a green dot) then under that I have O2 MMS (no green dot)

So when I touch O2 MMS it comes up as follows...(though greyed out)

MMSC  mmsc.mms,o2.co.uk 8002

MMS proxy 82.132.254.1

MMS port 8080

*MCC 234

*MNC 10

* no idea what MCC and MNC mean??

Anyway...is that all ok? If so...why is it all greyed out?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, that's normal.
It's greyed out because it is controlled by the apn above so you can't change it.
MNC is Mobile Network Code and MCC is Mobile Country Code (but I prefer Mission Control Centre :))

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Yes, that's normal.
It's greyed out because it is controlled by the apn above so you can't change it.
MNC is Mobile Network Code and MCC is Mobile Country Code (but I prefer Mission Control Centre :))

Everything on this phone is a Mission Control Centre to me...I have only had it 18 months LOL

One more thing before you roll your eyes (joking) With the Mobile Country Code...does that ever change when you go abroad..or is it set to the country you brought it from?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14