O2 Community

Get help, share tips and chat

Level 1: Joiner
kerriface

galaxy ace gt-s5830i

the internal memory is constantly full. currently i have only two apps (aside fromthe pre-installed ones that come with the phone)- facebook and whatsapp yet if i try to install anything else it tells me the memory is full - this includes updating existing apps.

i have deleted all messages, call logs, photos and music from the phone and i stil cannot add anything to it.

i bought a bigger memory card but even when things are stored on there it tells me the internal phone memory is full.  the phone is only a few weeks old and i'm fed up already.

does anyone have any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Level 7: Part Timer
GrahamF

Re: galaxy ace gt-s5830i

[ Edited ]

kerriface wrote:

the internal memory is constantly full. currently i have only two apps (aside fromthe pre-installed ones that come with the phone)- facebook and whatsapp yet if i try to install anything else it tells me the memory is full - this includes updating existing apps.

i have deleted all messages, call logs, photos and music from the phone and i stil cannot add anything to it.

i bought a bigger memory card but even when things are stored on there it tells me the internal phone memory is full.  the phone is only a few weeks old and i'm fed up already.

does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi, have you cleared the "cache" for all your apps? & for your e-mail accounts?

Apps like Facebook/Twitter/Whatsapp & certain games store huge amounts of cache on your phone!

+ e-mails & attachments/photo's need clearing from cache.

Go into settings, then applications, then "manage applications", then "All", select each app one-by-one & clear data/cache etc... Hope this helps. Have you turned the phone off & on again recently? this clears unwanted stuff too!  :smileyhappy: Even apps added to your SD card still add a small bit of data to your phone to make them load quicker. After you have cleared all the cache, dial *#*#9900#*#* on your keypad, select "dump to SD card" from the list & this will dump all unwanted data onto your SD card. On your SD card look for a new folder called 'dump state' or something like that & delete it. Good luck.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it isn't OK, then it's not the end!!
Please use plain text.
MI5
Topics: 233
Solutions: 2,897

You get this message because the system partition is full. Clearing the cache will help you but you need to look at all the apps that are installed and sort them by size. Google maps is usually quite a big file along with facebook and some browsers. Click into the biggest ones and uninstall updates. This will reduce the space taken by storage and free some resource for the phone to utilise.
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM. Asus Fonepad.
(HTC One M7. Samsung ATIV s. Xperia Z1.)
Note 4 (still) pre-ordered.
Please use plain text.
anticpated
Topics: 62
Solutions: 36

The quickest way to do this is to reboot into the recovery menu and choose to clear the cache from there. Usually Home+Power+Vol Up simulataneously from the off-state. They may a slight variation however this is a pretty generic Android phone thing.

Please use plain text.
Level 1: Joiner
kerriface

thanks everyone, this seems to have cleared alot of space!

hopefully i can get a few more apps and actually be able to use the phone now.

thanks for all your help.
Please use plain text.
anticpated
Topics: 62
Solutions: 36

[ Edited ]

Something else you can do is, look for app on the Play Store which will allow you store user/application data on an external SD card. This will free up space on the internal partition meaning only application runtime data will be stored on the handset itself.

Although check your version of Android doesn't already include this in the Application Settings. In the list of programs, choose a program and then look for a tab called 'Move to SD'. 

Anyway I hope this helps.

Sorry I see GrahamF already suggested this.  Oh welll.

Gingerbread 2.3 has this feature and presuming you are using a later version, it should have too. The only obvious prerequisite is a SD card being installed and mounted.

Please use plain text.
Lol
Level 2: Apprentice
Lol

Re my previous message with same problem, I went into my local 02 shop and the Guru seems to have solved the problem.  Not exactly sure what or how she did it, but it was something to do with transferring stuff to the memory card and clearing the data from each app, including the default ones which I hadn't added myself.   I have 3 games downloaded and it seems each time I play, it stores the result which ultimately fills the memory!   Don't ask me how or why any of this works - the phone is almost a complete mystery to me - but it's worth popping into a Guru and getting him/her to solve it!

Please use plain text.
Level 27: Desk Jockey
Leonard

Great, Lol. Thanks for sharing that story! The guru's seem to be really helpful.

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a private message.

Please use plain text.
MI5
Topics: 233
Solutions: 2,897

All he did to your phone was the same as has been posted above. It's not "magic" but just needs a basic understanding of how things work....
Samsung S3 i9305 Dual SIM. Asus Fonepad.
(HTC One M7. Samsung ATIV s. Xperia Z1.)
Note 4 (still) pre-ordered.
Please use plain text.
Level 27: Desk Jockey
Leonard

Haha yea. That's always the thing though, isn't it? When you don't know what's going on and have been trying for ever, it does seems like magic. :smileyhappy:

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a private message.

Please use plain text.