Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z3 glass cracking

neilfaefife
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My wife upgraded her Sony Z to the Z3 a fortnight ago. A few days a go she noticed a crack on the back of the phone about 4" long from middle to corner. She hasn't dropped or knocked the phone which was weird. I checked various forums and found many complaints of similar problems, in fact XDA did a survey of Z3 owners and of the 1369 responses 376 had either unexplaineed cracks on screens or on the back. Now I would reckon that sounds like a design fault or manufacturing issue. However our issue was met with we know nothing of any phones having this issue, you will need to pay for repair or claim through insurance,  which we reluctantly did. I know of Vodafone replacing a handset FOR as THEY recognise an issue, shame O2 don't.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You should have gone directly to Sony.
There was a piece on Watchdog about it and Sony said that customers should return phones to them for assessment and repair.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You should have gone directly to Sony.
There was a piece on Watchdog about it and Sony said that customers should return phones to them for assessment and repair.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

neilfaefife
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well I had an online chat via the Sony forum and had little help about it from them and surely if it was on national TV this would have filtered through to shops and customer assistants?

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You would have thought so.......?
But I guess it depends on how interested the person you are talking to is about the subject.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If you had the time to do it, your only recourse now would be to go back to Sony CS and hopefully get someone who might be more sympathetic, explain that you have seen the Watchdog program, and ask to be reimbursed for what you had to pay O2 for the repair.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122373 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Unusual for Sony to be so unhelpful from what I read. The phone is still under warranty I would have thought so there should have been no issue. Anyway a skilled technician can tell immediately whether the cracks are caused by misuse....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6