Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xperia Z5 - Firmware Update

Albabarn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

While we wait for Sony / O2 to release Marshmallow for the Z5, is there any news on when the 32.0.A.6.152 Build will be released/approved, either OTA or through the pc app?

When checking my phone it says it's up to date (Build 32.0.A.4.11) but the Sony support page says it shoud be 32.0.A.6.152.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It will be ready by O2 as soon as the devices team receive the firmware from Sony and it passes the network tests.
It "should" be a relatively short wait as it is only a security and stability fix update.
However, it will still be needed to be passed by the O2 firmware team before rolling out to devices.
The Sony support page will always list the latest generic firmware that is available, not the latest for your particular handset.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Albabarn

Not sure if our Sony expert @viridis knows the answer to this...if not it will be a question for @Chris_K in the morning....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
It will be ready by O2 as soon as the devices team receive the firmware from Sony and it passes the network tests.
It "should" be a relatively short wait as it is only a security and stability fix update.
However, it will still be needed to be passed by the O2 firmware team before rolling out to devices.
The Sony support page will always list the latest generic firmware that is available, not the latest for your particular handset.
Message 3 of 18

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
If pushed to take a guess. ...
Wednesday this week at 8:45

Logic behind that is that uk unbranded have the update already and O2 are usually pretty quick at Xperia updates, most updates roll out when Sony refresh the servers and for some reason 9am on Wednesdays is a common time. Myself and MI5 guessed once an update's release within 10 minutes by using same logic.
But all depends on whether O2 have it already. Chris_K will know for sure...
Message 4 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi...I have a Tesco Mobile Z5 and I had 2 emails come direct from Sony saying it was available to download via the Sony PC Companion and then the next day again via email saying it was available OTA...

Have you tried connecting yours to a PC??

Message 5 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Usually PCC updates will come out before OTA, so worth checking.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 18

Albabarn
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I anticipated a delay between Sony announcing the software and O2 making it available, would be good to have an idea how long it takes. Something that O2 could do in future, have a list somewhere showing expected release dates for Firmware updates.

I've checked the PC app, nothing showing so far, i'll check it a few times a week, see if anything comes through. If it does i'll share the love slight_smile

Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Xperia Z5 is my 1st ever locked Android. I previously used Nokia Lumia 1020 and the updates came timely. I don't hold my breath for O2 and Sony delivering on time or even delivering small patches at all but who knows?
Message 8 of 18

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Chill out, it's only a few weeks since Sony rolled generics.
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Fair enough to keep patient, yeah it's not been long.

However, the speedy rollout of updates is becoming more and more important for Android from a security perspective. Every delay in the chain - Google getting a fix into AOSP, OEM's baking that into their skinned Android, then carriers passing network tests and adding their own "value-add" apps in delays the vulnerabilities being closed in end users pocket computers phones.

At the end of the day, if you want speedy Android updates, the'res currently only one solution : buy a Nexus.

Message 10 of 18